Thread: creaking

mtbr member

creaking

I am out of ideas, there is a creaking sound that appears to come from my bb on each downstroke. I know it isn't the pedals, and I replaced the bb so unless that was defective or terribly weak to begin with I am without a clue.
    Some info, steel frame, hardtail, square taper, new shimano un model bb, new chain, I checked the chainring bolts and they seem to be tight, nothing seems to solve the problem.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thankx
    Out of the trailer and onto the trail.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    It could be that you need the "teflon tape" treatment, basically take out the BB, wrap the BB threads in teflon tape, reinstall... silence.

Other things to look at:
    -you already checked your pedals, but I've found out that some pedals creak at the cleat/pedal interface. Put a dab of grease on the cleats/pedals and try. Mine do it all the time.
    -check the crankbolts, it is not at all uncommon for them to back off.
    -check the chainring bolts.
    -check to make sure that your seatpost is not slipping on the frame.
    -make sure your saddle is not creaking, some do.
    -check your frame for craks around the BB area.

It seems to me like it is either the BB creaking on the shell -and taking the BB out and greasing or using teflon tape should cure it- or the cleat deal. Good luck.

mtbr member

Thank you, will try

Thanks for the tips, will try all that are relevent,( I'm a platform guy).
    Thanks again.

Map Maker
    The posted before said check saddle and seat post - check the saddle rains to seatpost clamp - grease EVERYTHING that is a metal to meatla contact - every bolt and everything.

are you running a thomson post?
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

pain don't hurt

not trying to hijack the thread but....

I have the same problem. Terrible creaking on the downstroke of the right pedal when pedalling moderately to heavily. So I did what any sane, upgrade-seeking rider would do, I replaced the cranks, BB, and pedals. Same creak, new parts. It happens only when pushing on the right pedal, happens when standing or sitting, with or without pressure on the bars. It does NOT happen when I stand and 'bounce' on the cranks without pedalling. I spent about 45min last night inspecting the frame (also a hardtail, but aluminum), tightened the pedals and BB parts just in case, and it made no difference.

Methinks it could be the chain; would that creak?

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboasT4
    I have the same problem. Terrible creaking on the downstroke of the right pedal when pedalling moderately to heavily. So I did what any sane, upgrade-seeking rider would do, I replaced the cranks, BB, and pedals. Same creak, new parts. It happens only when pushing on the right pedal, happens when standing or sitting, with or without pressure on the bars. It does NOT happen when I stand and 'bounce' on the cranks without pedalling. I spent about 45min last night inspecting the frame (also a hardtail, but aluminum), tightened the pedals and BB parts just in case, and it made no difference.

Methinks it could be the chain; would that creak?
    Try greasing your chainring bolts and the interfaces.
    [SIZE=1]"The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Are you running a waterbottle cage?

I had a similar creaking problem on my ti frame. Turns out it was my waterbottle cage (on for the light battery). Once I greased the bolts and cage-frame interface the creak went away.

mtbr member

good advice

I welcome the hijack.
    Once the rigrats are down for the night I got to get out the wrenches and teflon tape, then start on everything else that ain's welded. Seatpost is noname al and I do have a bottle cage, all good leads.
    Thanks

KDS
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

keep trying

you'll get it eventually. A couple suggestions, try dripping tri flow or some other lube into the suspect areas, if it quiets down, you can take it apart and grease or whatever is needed, any metal to metal contact point is a possible creak (guess i really narrowed it down there) a couple of tough ones to find for me were a creaking pedal on a road bike (same symptoms as yours), dripped tri flow into the threads at the crank-no more creak. Also on my SS, a horrible creak when pedaling hard (standing to climb a steep hill), that turned out to be the replaceable derailleur hanger, turned bike upside down, dribbled teflon lube into the junction, no more noise (took apart and greased when I got home from the ride). Just keep at it, you will find the culprit ( and only spend money as a last resort).
    Happy Hunting,
    Kevin

pain don't hurt

Great ideas here!

My primary concern is that it is a safety issue, i.e. the frame is cracked.

The welds look fine, and the frame appears to be in otherwise good condition. I do not feel like I do anything abusive that would cause it to fail.

My cranks use an external BB, so there are no crank bolts. I took it all part and re-tightened the bearing shells. I used LOTS of grease on all the threaded interfaces (BB threads, pedal threads, etc.), although I did not apply the teflon tape. I'll have to look into the derailluer hanger. Would a chain creak? Maybe I'll spring for a new one anyway.
    *EDIT*
    The thing that is confusing to me is that it only happens when I pedal on the right side!