mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Could be. Have you tried removing and greasing. Also try the same with the seat post.

Adobo Lover

Creak, possibly crank?

Checked the pivot points on my FS. Just sitting on the bike holding the brakes so the bike doesn't move, and putting the crank under load, I hear the creak. On the left, I heard it once when I tugged on the crank arm. The cranks are torqued to specs. I use to hear the same creak on my carbon bar/stem combo until I got rid of the stem and bar. Could it be a bad bottom bracket or crank? Truvativ Stylo Isis cranks 04 model. Any suggestions or cures?

Adobo Lover
    Greased the seatpost already to be on the safe side. I hear the creak standing, when hammering. I'm removing the cranks and regreasing right now.

Because I am !
    I had a similar problem on my old FS bike. I checked the pivot points but did not disassemble. Could stand beside the bike and put your weight on it and couldn't get it to make a sound. But when I was cranking, usually up hill it would drive you crazy. I disassembled the crank, cleaned, regreased. Did not help. So I finally disassembled the swing arm and cleaned and regreased all the pivot points and it cured the problem. The only thing I can figure is when you crank it hard it puts more stress on the pivot points and that may be why you only hear it then. Just a thought, but it worked for me. Hope you can find it because there is nothing more annoying....
    Last edited by outdoornut; 01-20-2006 at 07:44 PM.

Meh.
    Pull the bb out of the frame. Degrease all the threads. Wrap the threads on the bb in the white plumbers tape. Wrap it 3 or 4 layers thick. Generously apply grease to the bottom bracket shell. Reinstall and torque to spec. Make sure the splines are also well greased. Grease and tighten your chainring bolts, they could be a potential source of creaking. Reassemble and torque everything to spec.

Adobo Lover
    I didn't pull the bottom bracket out, however, I did regrease the splines, and checked out the chainring bolts. One of the bolts on the granny rings was loose. Hopefully, that solved the problem. If not, I'll take out the bb. Thanks,