mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Crash! Beware of over-tightening your bolts!

I upgraded to an XT crankset about 4 or 5 months ago, the shop where I bought it installed it for me as I'm not too proficient with tools and assembly!
    I trusted their methods as they're a very popular shop on my side of Bangkok, however, I noticed they didn't use a torque wrench, this only seemed odd to me when I realised that a torque wrench is quite important...

Anyhow, today, whilst going round a corner, my chain derailed and the force of pedalling with no opposing force destabilised the tyres and I slid. I got up quickly as Bangkok streets are not the best places to lay around and I tried to pedal, that's when I noticed the chain was off, I had a fiddle around and noticed one of the chain ring bolts was loose, I took my bike straight to the shop but they were reluctant to do anything at all, I ended up having to pay for some new bolts, which I'm pretty unhappy about as they fit the bloody things in the first place!!

Have a look at these, the top 5 or 6 rings of thread have completely gone!

Crash! Beware of over-tightening your bolts!-20130724_185034.jpg

I wasn't feeling very confident about riding out of that shop when they fitted some new bolts, I wanted a complete new crankset, a little unreasonable I understand, and I didn't ask for that, but I bloody well wanted to!

Now I have another piece of skin missing...

Is it normal for these bolts to fail like this? I bought XT with the understanding that they were strong, albeit a little heavy, why are alloy bolts used for the chain rings?? Are alloy bolts usually perfectly adequate if they're not tightened to f*ck?

MTBR Member
    Chainring bolts are something that you should check yourself once a month or so. The threads are flattened because you have been riding around with them loose -- not caused by overtightening.

turtles make me hot
    Alloy is fine. I'm a big clyde with alloy chainring bolts and They work fine.
    I've had them loosen up in the past. Now, when installing them, I use a tiny bit of blue Loctite on the threads.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I will check them from now on, going to buy the tool tomorrow!

Only one of them was loose when I checked them at the side of the road, it was the uneven nature of the bolts - one bolt of the middle chain ring made the chain ring sit uneven to the rest of the chain ring - which caused the derailing of the chain, this would point to the initial over-tightening of the bolts as the cause of the loosening, none of the other bolts were loose, they were probably closely following behind the loose one in getting ready to fail

I used loctite 222 on my other bits and it seems to be doing a fine job, similar to blue loctite?

turtles make me hot
    222 will be fine.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Lovely, thanks!