mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New question here. Crankset Upgrade Advice

I am about to replace my existing Crankset (Square Taper 48, 38,28) with a Shimano Deore or LX setup.

i realise most new cranksets are designed with 8-9 speed Cassettes+Chains in mind, so what i want to know is if my exsisting 7 Speed Cassette and Chain would work with this new Crankset, or will the chain be too thick for the spaces between the chainrings or something??????????

bi-winning
    edit, from sheldon brown's site:

>New Chainrings, Old Chains
    Going the other direction, using wider chains with chainrings intended for narrower chains is not generally a major problem if there's only a one or two generation difference. The only problem you might run into is that the chain will be more liable to rub on the inside of the bigger chainrings in the small/small crossover gears, gears you shouldn't be using in any case.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    thanks for that

thats the sort of info i have been looking for, a friend of mine did the opposite a few years ago with no major trouble either.

by Generation he does mean from 7 to 8 speed and 8 to 9 speed doesnt he?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyBoy1717

by Generation he does mean from 7 to 8 speed and 8 to 9 speed doesnt he?
    Yup. For example, 9 speed is one generation newer than 8 speed.

I actually did not think it would work, but, apparently it does "in general."

Don't forget though, that chains and chainrings wear together. So, if your chain is very worn, it many not play well with ANY new chainrings.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club