mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Which Crankset for Rohloff setup?

I'm not sure what the difference is between buying a SS specific crank and getting something like an LX and then removing all three rings and putting on a SS ring.

I've got nothing against the new LX. I'm just wondering if there are any other cranks that cost about the same that might work better for the Rohloff application.

Do the new X-Type cranks seal out water and dirt better than a square taper Phil Wood bottom bracket? (or is that another thread?)

Any ideas?

mtbr member

If I'm not mistaken...

the Speedhub has a pretty wide chainline (something like 53mm). Any crankset should work once you get the chainring into that position. The new XTR/XT (and I assume the LX Hollowtech II) are 50mm chainline for the ring in the middle position. If you put the ring on the outside position, it should be pretty darn close to 53mm.

Now, the older cranks that specified 2 potential BB spindle lengths (ie: 110 or 113mm)usually meant that the shorter spindle (110mm) would give you a chainline of 47.5mm for the middle ring position. The longer BB length would get you to about 50mm for the middle ring position...also giving you about 53mm for the outer ring position. Any crankset can be made to work.

For the one Rohloff bike that I've built, we used an XTR Hollowtech II crankset with the outer chainring. When I build mine, I'll be using the XT Hollowtech II crankset with a 38 tooth DH ring in the outer position.

Don't know much about the durability of the Phil Wood BB versus the outboard cups, but my gut would say that the Phil Wood bearings will last longer.

mtbr member
    May 2004

I use these cranks etc..............

Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I'm not sure what the difference is between buying a SS specific crank and getting something like an LX and then removing all three rings and putting on a SS ring.

I've got nothing against the new LX. I'm just wondering if there are any other cranks that cost about the same that might work better for the Rohloff application.

Do the new X-Type cranks seal out water and dirt better than a square taper Phil Wood bottom bracket? (or is that another thread?)

Any ideas?
    I ride a set of Race Face carbon cranks with an FMR (or is it FRM 150g very light) bottom bracket I picked up at the Xrtalite website. I just went up to a 17t rear cog and a TA Specialite 42T front, outer ring. The set up is quite light and I've had no problems. I ride mainly aggressive XC and race in XTERRA triathlons.

SDW