bonkin' clyde

crankset replacement help needed

Hey guys, I have this old, POS no-name crankset on my good ol' Giant Rincon. I want to remove it. I am looking in the meantime for a RF set-up but that's unimportant. how do I go about removing it??? Thanks guys. I could've learned all about this at the lbs I might be working at 3 months from now but impatience is upon me..

Here are some photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bluronthetrails; 08-13-2004 at 05:28 PM.
    My bed comforts my body. Sleep comforts my mind. The trail comforts my soul. And without a soul, what is a body anyway?

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

tool

[QUOTE=bluronthetrails]Hey guys, I have this old, POS no-name crankset on my good ol' Giant Rincon. I want to remove it. I am looking in the meantime for a RF set-up but that's unimportant. how do I go about removing it??? Thanks guys. I could've learned all about this at the lbs I might be working at 3 months from now but impatience is upon me..

Here are some photos:[/QUOTE

With a crank puller, after removing the bolt. Be sure to also remove the washer behind it if there is one, or you will strip out the crank threads when you use the tool.

No offense to you personally, every body here started at square one at one time. But if that impending job a the LBS involves wrenching on customers' bikes, and you are not familiar with a crank puller, you should maybe post the name of the shop here so others can steer clear until they get you up to speed. Like I said, nothing personal, but makes me glad I do all my own work.

bonkin' clyde

i know

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    No offense to you personally, every body here started at square one at one time. But if that impending job a the LBS involves wrenching on customers' bikes, and you are not familiar with a crank puller, you should maybe post the name of the shop here so others can steer clear until they get you up to speed. Like I said, nothing personal, but makes me glad I do all my own work.
    LOL. Naw man. I know how to do most other stuff. The bike you're seeing has gone through a whole lot of crap regarding my working on it and I've come down to a needle-nose pliers, an allen key (specific size I don't remember right now) and thats about it to do most of the work on my bike. Chain tools, chain whips etc, I am familiar with, but since I have never pulled a crank before, I was unsure of how exactly to do it...
    My bed comforts my body. Sleep comforts my mind. The trail comforts my soul. And without a soul, what is a body anyway?

mtbr member
    should be fairly apparent how to use the crank puller once you take off the plastic cap and take out the bolt that holds the crank onto the BB taper. Be sure to clean the threads in the crankarm, grease or oil them before inserting the puller, and screw it into the crankarm all the way. I've pulled the thread right out of aluminium crankarms (shimano deore) despite doing all this.

- Joel

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

allen key and needle nose pliers

Quote Originally Posted by bluronthetrails
    LOL. Naw man. I know how to do most other stuff. The bike you're seeing has gone through a whole lot of crap regarding my working on it and I've come down to a needle-nose pliers, an allen key (specific size I don't remember right now) and thats about it to do most of the work on my bike. Chain tools, chain whips etc, I am familiar with, but since I have never pulled a crank before, I was unsure of how exactly to do it...
    Add some channel locks and a BFH* tool to your inventory and you're ready to work on bikes at WalMart.
    Gotta wonder what "most" of the work on your bike would entail, given your tool inventory. Adjusting hub cones must be a ***** with the needlenose. I agree that your bike has likely gone thru "a whole lot of crap."
    That's ok though. I dimly recall wrecking something every weekend on my Varsity, using my dad's lawnmower tools, and then having to wait for Tuesday to repair the damage, as our local shop was always closed on Mondays. I learned a lot about how far one can tighten things with a crescent wrench before they break.
    Interesting censor program, had to hit edit to come back and see if the word "*****" ends up as ***** a second time, or if that was a fluke.
    Would be tough to discuss a female dog on this forum. ***** ***** *****

*Big ### Hammer