mtbr member
    May 2005

Crankset recommendations? Help

I want to replace the LX cranks on my 04 Yeti 575, What is the best combination of performance, weight,money and cool. Mainly do XC a lot of climbing.

Thanks,
    Chuck

I-S
    Magurified
    Best weight for money that I found, although somewhat lacking in cool, is the Ritchey V2 Pro. Same weight as the RaceFace Evolve and yet significantly cheaper, and at 115lbs I don't think I'm about to break it. The V2 Comp is the same arm but with two steel rings and one alu rather than one steel and two alu. It might be cheaper to buy the V2 comp and get alu rings to replace the steel ones.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    To me, Hone cranks are the best combo of cost/weight/cool. I just got a set of them (same as LX only black instead of silver) for $123 including shipping via eBay.

New LX (Hollowtech II) are good too or if you are a Shimano Hater, go with Race Face Evolve X-Type. All are excellent cranks w/ bottom-bracket for not too much money. I've installed both Shimano and Race Face. The total time to install is about the same, but the Shimano is easier to adjust & is easier to be sure you have it installed correctly.
    It's a 6" 29er, 69 HTA, 29" standover, setup for 31.6 Joplin, 83mm BB, blah blah blah. A bike for being stupid. --Walt Wehner

mechmann_mtb
    best thing i would suggest is a XT with external BB.

sooooo light compared to a standard LX (octalink BB)

you can get them at a fair price, but they are going to be more money than what others have suggested. you pay for quality/light.

Last edited by mechmann_mtb; 10-04-2005 at 10:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Check out these. http://www.coloradocyclist.com/commo...20,34945,22975

For further reference check this thread.
    Looking for a new crankset.