POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

crankset opinions

I just broke my drive side 180mm m960 xtr crank arm. It is out of warranty so I have to decide whether to buy a new arm (cheapest I can find is $220 from Bikeman) or go with another crankset. Since I can get a new RaceFace Deus for only a little more than the single XTR arm, it is very tempting. The other considerable factor I'm dealing with is that I have invested a good bit in Boone rings which will fit only the m960 cranks. I'm feeling sort of stuck with needing to buy a new XTR arm. Opinions?

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

Looks like Jenson...

Quote Originally Posted by POG
    I just broke my drive side 180mm m960 xtr crank arm. It is out of warranty so I have to decide whether to buy a new arm (cheapest I can find is $220 from Bikeman) or go with another crankset. Since I can get a new RaceFace Deus for only a little more than the single XTR arm, it is very tempting. The other considerable factor I'm dealing with is that I have invested a good bit in Boone rings which will fit only the m960 cranks. I'm feeling sort of stuck with needing to buy a new XTR arm. Opinions?
    has a complete m960 180mm crankset for $299 so I think I will buy that instead of the individual crankarm. Will give me an extra BB.

rider
    Jan 2005
    I'd also do a saved search on ebay for another drive side crank arm. Orphaned parts go for pretty cheap there. Spare parts are good to have around in this case, since you are invested in this particular format. And of course you will never find one on ebay until you have bought that crankset from Jenson...

29erchico

Elitest thrill junkie
    For the right side crankarm, that is a fair markup considering what it costs for wholesale on QBP.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

Thanks for the tip...

Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico
    I'd also do a saved search on ebay for another drive side crank arm. Orphaned parts go for pretty cheap there. Spare parts are good to have around in this case, since you are invested in this particular format. And of course you will never find one on ebay until you have bought that crankset from Jenson...

29erchico
    I will do that - I obviously need a back-up anyway.