mtbr member
    May 2011

Which crankset is most practical?

I'm now running X9 double crankset and I'm really tired of it. Sram chainrings last ~ 2000km for me. Non-sram 80/120 chainrings are expensive and hard to find, even not all online shops carry them. And I really hate Sram BB design. The drive-side exposed axle gets covered in mud all the time. What is worse, I've to take off the crankset to clean it. Or creak when riding all the time... My current chainrings are almost worn out, so I'm thinking about replacing whole crankset and be done with it.

So I started looking for double crankset with 24mm axle (more/cheaper BBs, 64/104 BCD (more/cheaper chainrings), and that works well as double. Narrow q-factor is a huge plus. Stock configuration with 26/38 is nice too.

So far I narrowed down to two cranksets - Shimano SLX and Shimano XT. I looked at XTR and Rotor as well, but they seem too expensive with marginal benefits.

SLX and XT seem very similar so I'm having a hard time to choose between them. I'd go with XT just for the sake of it, but I heard that SLX q-factor may be narrower and stiffer. Is it correct for 2013 models?

Any other similar cranksets for looking at? Or any ideas how to deal with Sram BB design in bad weather conditions?

www.4estbiker.nl
    Oct 2012
    I'm running a triple 2012 XT crankset with almost 5000km.
    It's still running fine but the 42-teeth chainring is really bad at the moment.
    I'm using 3 chains and switch every 300 to 500 km.
    I switching to the double XT and will again ride with 3 chains.
    I'm hoping it will last as long as the triple.

I'm using the bike for over 80% in the forrest in all weather conditions.
    My bike is never the problem and can always be faster than I can...
    http://www.4estbikers.nl

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have been using XT for years however the new SLX cranks look pretty nice and I've seen them as low as $89.. I don't think you can beat that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Which crankset is most practical?

I picked up an NSB spider for my sram crank and just installed it. Pretty nice and allows 104 bcd rings. Got it on eBay for $50.

I like Sram for the direct mount options if and when you go 1xX.

For the BB, a lot guys recommend prying the bearing seals off and packing with good grease. I use Paul's.

For my BSA I had Enduro install the hybrid bearings and the performance was improved. I think it was under $50 when I had it done.