mtbr member

crankset making noise like the chain is rubbing against front derailer ?

my crankset is making noises that sound like the chain is rubbing against something hard. I cant figure out how to fix it. I messed with the large ring and middle ring last week before i left for a confrence in DC and when i came back the first day out it was making this sound every time i started riding fast or if i hit a bump it would come and go. help please?

Could indeed be your chain rubbing on your front derailleur, might need adjustment. Could be what you were messing with. Hard to say without some description of the problem (i.e. when it specifically happens) or what you did.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    the sound comes when ever the trail starts to get alittle bit bumpy and I dont have to be pedaling for it to come too. I greased the bolts on the chainring in hope that it might had been those rattling, but no luck.

should i jst use this as and excuse to get a new crankset?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    When peddaling, look down and see if your chain is rubbing on the cage. I'm also gonna go wacky and assume that it happens more when your're in your bigger cogs.

mtbr member
    little ones actually and no it doesnt seem to be rubbing against the cage. The thing is I dont actually have to be pedaling for it to start making the noise. If I'm jst coastingand its gets bumpy the sounds starts again and it would stay for a while even when I'm on more tame fireroad it still makes the sound. I dont think its the chain rubbing cause of that.

EDR
    You've ruled out the chain/cassette/cranks. Things that still move when not pedaling include, rear hub (and front of course) and the freehub.(that thing the cassette sits on and makes that 'clicky' sound when coasting).

I would put the bike in a workstand and spin the rear wheel to try and duplicate the noise. Also check and see if your rear wheel wobbles side to side. If you have a hub with cone bearings like Shimano XT, they could be loose and need adjustment.

mtbr member
    okay just tried that and nothing, no sound what so ever. My rear derailleur hanger seems to be a little bit bent inwards but nothing much.

Is it possible that the chain is slapping on the front derailleur? it tried that and it sounded kinda like it, but how would it be slapping the front derailleur on a smooth downhill fireroad?

EDR
    Your chain could be slapping on the seatstay or der. On a rear suspension bike the chain tension can change a bit as the suspension works/sags.
    This may sound stupid but you could remove the chain and coast down a section of fireroad that you know to cause the noise. If you have a PowerLink this would be easy, otherwise....ehh.

mtbr member
    yea its a c'dale prophet, the chain cant really slap on anything other then the derailleur or lower swing arm.

mtbr member
    well i finally took apart the hubs and well all the bearings are kinda dull and some are damge along with the cone which is done, the cup its self seems to be alrigth in the most part but it feels alittle ruff. could that cause the noise?

The chances are pretty good, but if your hub is that far gone it's possible your freehub might be an issue as well. Are you replacing the hub or are you going to try and reuse it?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique