mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Crankset intstallation problems

I bought a new XT crankset (Hollow tech II with external BB). My BB width is 68mm, so I followed the instructions and put 2 spacers on the right side of the BB and 1 spacer on the left. Then I inserted the right crank/axel/chainring set, followed by attaching the left crank arm. However, there is not enough room/thread space on the left to attach the final piece (small/plastic/stellate shaped piece that is supposed to be tightened by hand). It seems like I need to take out some of the spacers, but the instructions are pretty specific and call for the above setup. I'm not sure what the best way to trouble shoot this problem is.

If this makes sense to anyone, and you have informed advice, I'd appreciative it. Which spacers, if any, should I take out? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmadse1
    I bought a new XT crankset (Hollow tech II with external BB). My BB width is 68mm, so I followed the instructions and put 2 spacers on the right side of the BB and 1 spacer on the left. Then I inserted the right crank/axel/chainring set, followed by attaching the left crank arm. However, there is not enough room/thread space on the left to attach the final piece (small/plastic/stellate shaped piece that is supposed to be tightened by hand). It seems like I need to take out some of the spacers, but the instructions are pretty specific and call for the above setup. I'm not sure what the best way to trouble shoot this problem is.

If this makes sense to anyone, and you have informed advice, I'd appreciative it. Which spacers, if any, should I take out? Thanks!

it sounds like the spindle is not all the way in the bearings, they can be pretty tight esp. when new. you shouldn't be able to see any spindle between the bearing and the crank spider, if it's not all the way on there I'd try giving it a little tap on the center of the spindle or hit it with the palm of your hand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the direction - you were spot on. Thanks again!