Thread: Crankset help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Crankset help!

I went out today on my Specialized Hardrock and while hitting a climb, the chain came loose and grabbed the granny gear bending it nearly in half. After a little research, I found I've got a crappy SR Suntour XCT crankset with everything riveted on. So I'm stuck replacing the whole deal. I'd like to upgrade to something that is bolted together so I can avoid this in the future. I've got a 7 speed cassette and the new crankset also needs to be fairly sturdy because I'm a big boy. Something in the $100-200 range would be great but ill spend more if need be. I'd really appreciate some help with this.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by burnout083 View Post
    I went out today on my Specialized Hardrock and while hitting a climb, the chain came loose and grabbed the granny gear bending it nearly in half. After a little research, I found I've got a crappy SR Suntour XCT crankset with everything riveted on. So I'm stuck replacing the whole deal. I'd like to upgrade to something that is bolted together so I can avoid this in the future. I've got a 7 speed cassette and the new crankset also needs to be fairly sturdy because I'm a big boy. Something in the $100-200 range would be great but ill spend more if need be. I'd really appreciate some help with this.
    just search online.. in the price range you're looking at just about anything will work. Just look for a 9 speed crank (7,8,9 speed cranks are all the same) probably actually look and the low-mid priced ones as most of the time the cheaper ones are heavier, but stronger.

If you can find one, a Sram/Truvativ Stylo Is what I would recommend, but they are hard to find now. I'd suggest an external BB system (80% of cranks today are)
    Sram X7 or X9 or a Shimano SLX would be my 1st choices. I prefer the Sram's GXP mounting system...

Not big on Race face As I don't like the drive side being the bolt on side.

another option is contact Suntour,.. I hear their higher end products are getting MUCH better and I know in forks/shocks they have an upgrade program where they give a good bit off to get a new product if upgrading an existing Suntour unit. still end up with a Square taper I believe but then you'll be just pulling the arms off and using the new ones.. which will be lighter/stronger and interchangable rings.... worth a 5 min call
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I personally would go SLX 9 speed. Tried and true crank set that will outlast you. You can find them online fairly cheap and replace that BB. My guess is that if it is original that it is worn out and needs replacing anyways. With a new BB and Crank bike will prolly feel like brand new itself. The other thing with the SLX is that it is all bolt on so if you do manage to damage a ring you can easily replace or even change out rings for different sizing to suit your riding style or area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just upgraded my crankset to a shimano SLX (9 speed)

couldn't be happier, I got the 2 ring and bash guard model, worth taking a look into. It is the same price, I just never used the large ring when on dirt