mtbr member
    May 2010

Crankset for heavy guys, yes I did a search...

I just got into mountain biking a few weeks ago. Bought a Focus Black Forest 2.0 with the Rockshox Silver something forks, kinda beefy and Shimano Deore cranks.

Anyways I finally started getting off the city bike trails and into the dirt. First time I had to hammer down I felt some serious flex and heard a nasty metallic pop come from the cassette or maybe chain ring. I've got a bad ratchey (is that a word) noise coming off the bottom of the bike in the gears somewhere now.

I have not yet looked into the problem going to do that today after work.

Anyways, to the point. I'm between 5-11 and 6' and weigh 260. Im in the catagory of not all fat but not all muscle. I know from experience that even with a ghandi prison diet and strenuous exercise getting below 230 probably wont happen.

What crank-set, can I get that will handle the torque? While I'm at it I want to convert to a 1x setup. I will learn how to do all my own work on the bike and I want it as simple as possible.

I did a search on this and didn't get any solid leads. I see guys calling themselves heavy at 210 lbs, I'll still be 20lbs over that when its all said and done and I'm back in shape.

Will a Shimano slx, Sram x9 or something similar be able to do it?

I don't really care about weight. I want it tough and high quality enough to transfer to another bike if I ever manage to bust up the one I'm on.

Thank you, I know its a long post.

mtbr member
    Bluesky has SLX cranksets on sale for $100.

Shimano Saint or Zee are also very strong.

You don't even need to search. Just read threads. Try the Clyde and tall section.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Anything that is intended for downhill/freeride is likely what you want at that weight and especially if you start to ride harder. Shimano Saint, Zee, SRAM has some DH cranksets, and the Truvativ Holzfeller+howitzer BB is a pretty strong combo at a reasonable price.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks guys. I did quite a bit of reading. I did this in the clyde section and had a couple of guys tell me the deore cranks I have should be no issue at all with the weight.

I did manage to bend the chainring a little it seems so I'll have to look into that.

If the set I have now doesn't hold up the Shimano Saint is definately the direction I'm going to go.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    E13 cranks are the way to go. These don't use a spline on the non drive side. It uses a triangle shape interface. I'm not super heavy (190 lbs.) but I've worn out the splines on every crank I've ever owned and these E13s have been going strong for awhile.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    At that weight just go for the Saint cranks totally tried and tested, I doubt very much you will have problems.