Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

crankset compatability?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  R88 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Bianchi Lynx with a Cyclone aluminum, 4 bolt 22/32/42 teeth crankset. My chain is slipping in all three chainrings and I want to replace them with a cheap ebay crankset. Can I order a 5 bolt square spindle crankset with the same tooth count and expect it to fit? The bike fits me well and I like riding it, but it's not worth investing much money in. I try to do all my own wrenching and hate going to the LBS for advice as I'm not a very good customer.
I'm thinking of this crank;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_500wt_1122

I know this is a 4 bolt set, but in case I don't get it can I also be looking at 5 bolts sets?

Thank you for any help and advice you may have to offer.

#2 · (Edited)
4- or 5-bolt or spiderless will all work, just make sure you get the proper BB for the cranks. typically, they come with the BB so you don't have to worry about it.

also, are you sure it's the front chainrings that are slipping? are the teeth worn that badly? you could possibly just replace the chainrings.

more likely culprit is the chain, and even more likely is the freehub body (the bearings/pawls in the cassette are slipping) on your rear wheel.

before you drop the cash on a new crankset, be sure you know exactly what is causing the slip.

#3 ·
I've replaced the rear derailleur, cassettte, and chain. The teeth on the chain rings are very worn and I can't figure out how to take the smallest ring off the crank, it looks like a permanent attachment. I've watched as the bike was pedaled slowly past me on a slight up hill and it looks like the chain rings are slipping. I'm very suspicious that all three rings went out at at the same time, and that time was a very bad shift under a heavy load that bent my rear derailleur. Everything worked fine up to that point. The only other thing I can think of is a bent hangar. The rear derailleur seems to line up with the cogs. The slippage rate is different for all three rings with the smallest being by far the worse. I've bought a new 2010 Rockhopper Comp Disc. and consider fixing this bike a learning experience which I'm willing to spend a little money but not much.
Thank you for your help and advice.

#4 ·
If you want to use your current bb, you have to get a crankset that matches its spindle length. According to www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/2003_cr-4arm-e-r4, the five d uses a 113mm bb. If you look at the seller's other items, you will see he is selling the bb that includes a spacer to fit both 68 and 73 mm shells.

There are 3 ways to determine your present bb spindle length to see if it will work.

1 Pull the cranks off and measure the spindle.
2 Remove the bb. The size is often on it.
3 Find what bb is compatible with your present crankset via the internet. Not possible on some older models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.