mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Crankset Compatability

Hi,
    I've just ordered a new 9 speed drivetrain, except I didnt order a new Crankset because i thought i wouldnt need it and im a bit skint at the moment, Because my drivetrain was 8 speed before i upgraded everything except Crankset but now after some quick research it may seem that my 8 speed crankset may not be compatible with the other 9 speed stuff, is this true? Do i need to buy a new Crankset or will it be fine?

My Crankset at the moment is Shimano Acera.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    When you say you've ordered a 9 spd drive train, I assume what you're saying is you've ordered a chain, cassete, and shifter. I'd just install it and see what happens. The biggest difference betweein 8 and 9 spd systems in the chain is narrower, to work with the tighter spaced cassette. It really depends on the how thick your front chain rings are.

Acera is not very good quality, so you're not losing much by ugrading. I'd stick with Deore as a minimum. having said that my Alivio cranks have lasted 12 years and the BB is still tight today as it was new.

Upgrading the crank really depends on the BB type you're using. If it's square drive, your options for upgrading without replacing the BB are limited to older and lower quality cranks . If you do need to upgrade, Jensonusa has square drive cranks for as little as $36

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ok thanks, if it dosent fit i'll put a new chainset on

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm running a lower end shimano 8spd crankset w/ a full 9speed SRAM X7/X9 9spd drivetrain and it shifts like a champ