mtbr member

Crankset chainring spacing?

I just ordered a deore m590 crankset which is 9 speed. I am currently running a 7 speed drive train. I am under the impression that 9 speed chainrings will work fine with a 7 speed chain, but what about the spacing between the 3 rings. Will my chain rub the other chainrings due to excess width?

mtbr member
    No.........
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwshadow View Post
    I just ordered a deore m590 crankset which is 9 speed. I am currently running a 7 speed drive train. I am under the impression that 9 speed chainrings will work fine with a 7 speed chain, but what about the spacing between the 3 rings. Will my chain rub the other chainrings due to excess width?
    The seven speed chain is somewhat wider than the nine speed chain. It will work, but just barely OK. Fine? No.

When I first made the switch from an 8sp crank to a 9sp crank I found the 8sp chain marginal. Yea it worked and if I didn't care about good shifting and chain rub I would have been cool. Ended up getting a 9sp chain and FD and it was perfect!

mtbr member
    Would it help if I put 7 speed chainrings on the crank? Or does it have to do with how they mount to the crank?

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwshadow View Post
    Would it help if I put 7 speed chainrings on the crank? Or does it have to do with how they mount to the crank?
    So many factors involved. Can one even find 7sp chainrings in this day and age? I doubt you want to spend the $$$ to find a set of 7sp chain rings and pay more than a 9sp chain and FD would cost.

IMO you have two choices. Find a 7sp crank on ebay or just go with a the chain, FD set up I suggested--assuming that a 9sp chain will work on a 7sp cassette. 9sp chain does work on an 8sp cassette. I can't say if the same is true for a 7sp-having not tried it.

Truth be told there comes a time when one must throw in the towel and admit defeat. It's gonna cost you more than its worth to save your old drivetrain. Might be the case for you. What are you trying to save? Details...

mtbr member
    I'm on a limited budget. I bought a deore crankset to replace my suntour crankset. I could take the 7speed rings off the suntour set. I really can't afford a new cadet, rd, fd, shifter. I am just trying to figure out I any sort of method will allow me to use my new crankset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Step one: Try it and see if it works. If so, call it good.
    Step two: If and only if there are any issues, then start thinking about how to resolve them. Chances are everything will work okay, but if things rub a bit more than you like (and this cannot be fixed via adjustment) then fit a 9 speed chain - if the cassette is new enough that it won't reject a new chain; the chain should definitely work on 5,6,7,8,9 speed Shimano rear cassette cogs.

Mostly chainwheels don't matter anywhere near as much as people expect. Cassette spacing matters - chainwheel spacing, not so much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    It is going to work just fine. Cranksets are pretty agnostic about what chain they run. You can run 6/7/8 speed chain on a 10 speed crank with no issues.