mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Crankset and bottom bracket question/guidance

I just bought a used bike and it has the race face evolve DH bottom bracket and race face cranks. I noticed squeaking and clicking in the bb and went to clean it and noticed that it is super rough when I try to spin it. I am thinking about switching it out but based on reviews it looks like the evolve bb are terrible. I was looking at these Race Face Ride DH 2X9/10 Crankset | Race Face | Brand | www.PricePoint.com as a cheap alternative. They have good reviews and are on sale for 60$ but they only have 83mm available and wasnt sure if it would fit my bike. I am no bike mechanic and dont know enough to feel comfortable buying 60$ of product only to pay 20$ to return shipping so I am seeking any help/guidance. It appears to me like a bb replacement alone wont work. I can give info on my cranks if needed. I have a Jamis Komodo 3.0 2006 frame. Thanks! Any info helps

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Race Face Evolve DH Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket Reviews
    This is my current BB. MY current cranks are the race face prodigy DH.
    Race Face Prodigy DH ISIS Crankset Reviews

mtbr member
    May 2012

Re: Crankset and bottom bracket question/guidance

You could probably use any Shimano bb, but it depends on the crankset. Reply with the type and someone can give you a definitive answer

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have Race Face Prodigy DH cranks and the BB is the Race Face Evolve DH currently on it.
    My main question is do I have to replace the crank AND bb (in which case I would just buy a crankset) or do you think I can get away with just buying a new bb?
    In either case, what bb would fit my current cranks that is cheap and worth buying.
    As for a crankset, does size matter at all? What does the 83mm stand for? Will it fit any bike? I dont mind spending 60$ on a new crankset especially because of the ratings on the above posted one, I just need to be sure that it will fit my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I looked up my bike on Bikepedia. This is the original bb it came with Truvativ Howitzer Team BB | SRAM
    and this is the crankset I would like to replace both BB and Cranks
    Race Face Ride DH 2X9/10 Crankset | Race Face | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Will the race face crankset fit/work? I see that the Truvativ is 68mm and the race face is 83mm, but from what I read it looks like the 83mm bb work on any bike. And obviously the proper cranks come with the crankset so those will work. If anyone knows if the crankset will work let me know. Thanks!

mtbr member
    from your link
    Race Face Ride DH 2X9/10 Crankset

RIDE DH brings legendary DH/Freeride crankset technology, performance & styling to an incredibly attractive price point. Sharing the same aggressive styling as our RIDE XC crank, the DH version also features our performance external bottom bracket system for superior performance.

Availble with either 68/73mm or 83mm Bottom Brackets
    Comes with Bash/32/22T rings
    You most likely want a 68/73mm bottom bracket.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Okay thank you! Do you mind if I ask the reasoning behind that so I know for next time?

mtbr member
    Crankset and bottom bracket question/guidance-bbshellwidth-1-.jpg
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    83mm BB shells are used on Downhill bikes

with external bottom bracket bearings.
    with 68mm shell then 3 x 2.5mm spacers are used.
    with 73mm shell then 1 x 2.5mm spacer is used.

if internal bottom brackets are used ie square taper or isis then the correct length bottom bracket must be brought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is there any downside to the 83mm? Im not a weight junky who is looking to drop grams for money, I am looking for a cheap replacement that will work for a long time and work well. 60$ for the race face ride crankset is a great deal. It only comes in 83mm though. I measured the bb on my bike and it is 68mm. The only bb i see that would be worth buying is the shimano UN54 (because it is cheap + good reviews), but it is square taper.

So 2 questions: Will the 83mm Race Face Ride crankset fit on my bike (and is there any downside to using the 83mm apart from weight)?
    Will the shimano UN54 fit my race face prodigy cranks/is the shimano un54 even worth buying?
    (Because it is so cheap I am not sure if people are rating it high because of its price or performance or both)