mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Crankset with 46/48 teeth chainring

Any suggestion if I don't prefer a custom-built one?

President, CEO of Earth

46 and 48??

Are you looking for a crank with both 46 and 48 t chainrings? Because in all my readings of national wholesale distributors I have never seen a crank with that combination offered as a regular item. Some cranks come with a no chainring option (like Raceface) and you could get any size of rings to put on those.

This type of thing used to be more common (called half-step gearing) because it shifted a lot better with the front derailleurs of the day then the 'full step' gearing. However, this was really sort of passé by the time I got my first job in a shop in the late '80s.

Aside from that, you're probably gonna have to buy a crank with a 48 big ring and buy a 46 (or vise versa) to make your desired combination.
    Last edited by TobyNobody; 08-23-2004 at 08:35 AM. Reason: added a title

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyNobody
    Are you looking for a crank with both 46 and 48 t chainrings? Because in all my readings of national wholesale distributors I have never seen a crank with that combination offered as a regular item. Some cranks come with a no chainring option (like Raceface) and you could get any size of rings to put on those.

This type of thing used to be more common (called half-step gearing) because it shifted a lot better with the front derailleurs of the day then the 'full step' gearing. However, this was really sort of passé by the time I got my first job in a shop in the late '80s.

Aside from that, you're probably gonna have to buy a crank with a 48 big ring and buy a 46 (or vise versa) to make your desired combination.
    I am sorry to make the confusion.
    What I mean is that is there any good crankset with the largest chainring being 46 or 48 teeth?
    Will the custom-built crankset be more expensive and shift better than the factor-made crankset?
    Last edited by ohvina; 08-23-2004 at 09:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Airbomb has Deore/LX in 26/36/48

Besides using a 110/74 crank (Sugino XD500), Airbomb shows that they have the Deore and Deore LX four arm cranks with a 48. However, Shimano specs their front derailleur to handle only 22 teeth difference. You might be able to get away with more than 22t but you should be aware of it.

glenk

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

there are

what you seek is a crankset with the vererable 110/74mm "standard" bolt circle diameter, vs today's various "compact" versions.
    They're still around. Middleburn outa england makes one that's a lot like the original first-generation xtr of a decade ago. sugino still makes one, or some. TA also does.
    www.rivendellbicycles.com carries some for sure, Grant the owner is a big proponent of the standard bolt circle diameter. he may not have the best prices, though.
    might be some old ritchey logic standards on ebay. they're cold-forged sugino. or if you prefer cnc machined, cook bros, etc etc. they were the standard for like 2 decades so there should still be plenty floating around.
    ah, cranksets don't shift, custom or otherwise. it's the chainrings you put on the cranksets that would account for any differences in shifting quality.
    46 or 48t big rings were pretty much standard for standard cranks. smallest middle ring = 34t.
    smallest granny ring you can actually find =24t, though I have heard rumors of 23t grannies out there somewhere.