mtbr member

Crankbrothers Mallet for XC?

looking to get clipless pedals, and i wanted the mallet for the platform? do they clip in and out as easy as the candy or eggbeater would? and would they work as flats too for riding with sneakers?

mtbr member
    I have Acids which are between the Candies and Mallets. No problem clipping in and out compared to Eggbeaters.
    Are you looking to ride trails with sneakers and not clip in for the whole ride? I would say not a good idea. The wings of the Eggbeater part of the pedal get in the way, it's ok to ride short distances that way, but a full ride would be very uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    i posted this for a friend. he gets good deals on crankbrothers, so he was looking at them. he wants to use them for XC riding with us, and he wants to be able to still commute if he needs to, and still have fun riding on ramps and practicing wheelies and what not. so we were looking at the mallets because they have the studs and stuff(hoping he could still grip well when using as a platform pedal).

so will they work ok, or will the clip not let the bottom of a sneaker grip the stud/screws well?

mtbr member
    Tell him to put a small marble on his current platform pedals, and pedal around some.
    Yes, his shoes will still grip, but it'll be uncomfortable. There is nothing wrong with riding XC with platforms crank bros makes some called 50/50.

mtbr member
    I've had mallets for over 6 years and they've provided better foot stability on rocky downhills than shimano spds. The only downside are banging rock gardens