mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Which crank set to Upgrade to??

I've been checking into upgrading my crank on my xcaliber but have no idea on which one is a good option. Ive looked at a bunch of them but like i say I'm not so sure on which one would i should get. I'm looking for something no more than $200 which is light and will last me.

The one on there now is the stock 10 speed SRAM S1000, 44/32/22. Hoping for some suggestions to help me decide.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Here's a starting point. http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/c...ls_115crx.aspx I think Shimano SLX is a pretty good bang for your buck. To get more usefull advice you need to tell us more about you, how you ride, what you like/dislike about your current set-up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    SLX or XT are both excellent choices.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What about Race face Dues or Respond?? FSA Gravity or Afterburner?? How do these compare to Shimano SLX or XT ?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I won't trust FSA with moving parts again, if I have a choice. Nice road bars, though.

People have had problems with the attachment of the left crank arm on Race Face X-type cranks. Haven't had one myself - it's supposed to be kind of a variation on the crank bolt theme from the old three-piece style, and problems were frequently blamed on installer error. So, if one fell into my lap, I think I'd read the instructions twice and get a new torque wrench and maybe some loc-tite, friction paste, etc.

I have to confess to being a little bit of a Shimano fanboy, now. I have the SLX crank, it's easy to install, and it works really well. I did have a little trouble on the first bottom bracket with the top hat seal things. I've been meaning to rebuild that bb with Enduro seals, which would eliminate the problem as well as save me some money if/when my current bottom bracket dies.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx