Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Crank Screw Backing Out! Please Help!

416 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bikinfoolferlife 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have an older (maybe 8 years old) XTR set-up that has worked flawlessly up until now. The crank screw on the drive-side backs out about every 5 miles or so of singletrack. It's maddening having to stop and tighten it all the time!

I replaced the bottom bracket probably about 2 years ago, but this backing-out problem has just recently started. I try and crank down on it, but I fear I may do other damage if I really crank down on it. I've read conflicting ideas on the use of Loctite as well.

Is my bottom bracket shot? Any other ideas?

Thanks so much in advance!

#2 ·
You'll probably damage if you keep not tightening it sufficiently, if you haven't already (any deformation of the splines on the bb or crank?). At least I doubt you're tightening it to torque specs when you say you're afraid of really cranking down on it, in that you should be tightening the crankarm bolts to about 350-435 inch pounds. Grease should be fine, loctite shouldn't be necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.