mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Crank replacement/upgrade

Hey, relatively new to the mountain biking scene and new to the DIY side of it. I was wondering what kind of specs I need to consider when replacing a crank?

I currently have a Shimano M442 44/32/22 but would like to replace it with a 2010 Race Face Evolve crank. Would that work as a replacement?

Bike is a 2008 Trek 6000.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The 2010 Race Face will be a total replacement and will include new external bearings So it will work just fine. You will need two different types of tools to replace it since your old crankset is a Square Taper bottom bracket. It may end up being cheaper to take it to a shop for the initial replacement should only cost about 25-30 dollars.

You will need the following tools
    8mm Crank Bolt wrench.
    Crank Puller
    Pin Spinner (only if you old cranks are one key release)
    BB-19 Bottom bracket tool for the new cranks external BB.

IMO I would take it to a shop first and just buy the BB-19 tool for further maintenance of the external BB, since you will never use the other tools again unless you have a lot of bikes with Square taper BB.

*this is all assuming you don't already have the tools and that the new cranks are a external bearing BB.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks, it's exactly what I was looking for. I was planning on taking it in to a shop for the initial setup to make sure it's done properly.

What about the length though? I see from Jenson's that it comes in 170mm and 175mm options? Why would I pick one over the other?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    170mm is the most common length. 175mm might give you more leverage on climbs. I just used the same length that came on my old cranks (175mm) since it worked well for me. Do some searching on Google for crank arm length.

AZ
    banned
    21.6 % of inseam length (bike inseam) is your correct crankarm length , found here :

velonews.competitor.com/2003/11/bikes-tech/...