mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Crank Questions Need HELP

I have a trek 4300, and I completely destroyed the cranks/bottom bracket doing small jumping and doing mtbing that is to hard for those cranks, I understood this perfectly. Before I brought it in to the bike shop I always had to tighten them, like 2 or 3 times every ride it was terrable. Anyway I got new Shimano LX cranks and after reading reviews and everything on them I was very excited to get them put on. I have barely rode them went mtbing like once, nothing really hard probably the biggest drop like 2ft tall tops. well now I have noticed that there is alittle click when I switch the turn the pedals around like putting pressure on different sides of them, I think it might be them comming loose too? How often do you guys need to tighten your crankset and is there anything else I can do, or am I just paronoid that I will break these to (even though I ride hard XC and I weigh 130, maybe alittle small jumping every once in a while, nothing bigger then 3 ft, why dont my friends who have crappy alivo cranks have these problems) im hoping im just paronoid.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

I tighten my cranks abot once a year....

About the only time I ever even think about my crankset is durring the winter when I completely strip and rebuild my bikes. That's the only time I have have to tighten my cranks....when I reinstall them after removing them.
    The only crankset I ever had problems with was a CODA M900 (aka Magic Motorcycle). I had to religiously tighten them about once a month and leaned always to carry the correct size allen wrench to reinstall them on the trail after the driveside arm fell off durring a ride.

My advise would be to pick up a torque wrench if you dont already have one and make sure the crank is properly torqued to the BB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter227
    I have a trek 4300, and I completely destroyed the cranks/bottom bracket doing small jumping and doing mtbing that is to hard for those cranks, I understood this perfectly. Before I brought it in to the bike shop I always had to tighten them, like 2 or 3 times every ride it was terrable. Anyway I got new Shimano LX cranks and after reading reviews and everything on them I was very excited to get them put on. I have barely rode them went mtbing like once, nothing really hard probably the biggest drop like 2ft tall tops. well now I have noticed that there is alittle click when I switch the turn the pedals around like putting pressure on different sides of them, I think it might be them comming loose too? How often do you guys need to tighten your crankset and is there anything else I can do, or am I just paronoid that I will break these to (even though I ride hard XC and I weigh 130, maybe alittle small jumping every once in a while, nothing bigger then 3 ft, why dont my friends who have crappy alivo cranks have these problems) im hoping im just paronoid.
    The LX Hollowtech (older 571) cranks and BB came stock on my bike, they had terrible problems with clicking and creaking. The big chainring teeth were weak and the BB's only lasted a year. The creaking and clicking happened because the crank bolts would loosen a little bit, not enough to cause noticeable play pedaling, but enough for the annoying sounds at the splined interface. I was able to cure the noises by greasing the splines and applying high strength loctite 271(red) to cleaned bolts & threads and tightening to 35ft-lbs with torque wrench. I put a bashguard over the big ring to eliminate the crumbly teeth issue. Anyways, I finally read the reviews here too and they're not good! Lots of problems with noises and poor rings. The crankset rates 3.4 out of 5 with 200+ reviews, my criteria for a good component is 4.0 or better. Look up the reviews for the trouble prone LX chainrings separately, a dismal 1.68 out of 5! This is a good component set to stay away from! I went back to square taper Phil W BB & RF Next crank and couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    On pink bike and other sites there are good reviews but w/e, anyway my Lbs put it in, so should i just have them fix it since they screwed up ( i dont have the money to buy a torque wrench right now)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter227
    On pink bike and other sites there are good reviews but w/e, anyway my Lbs put it in, so should i just have them fix it since they screwed up ( i dont have the money to buy a torque wrench right now)
    Well, if you don't have money for a torque wrench ($15 beam type is very precise and $5 8mm hex socket for crank bolt), have the LBS grease the splines, clean the the crank bolts & inner threads, apply loctite (insist on this, these cranks work themselves loose) and torque to max spec limits (~35 ft-lbs).

On the positive side, once you get the noises cured these cranks are very stiff, fairly light and shift well (if the chainrings aren't worn). Like you, I ride aggressive XC. I grind any log that gets in my way, ride down stairs & rockslides, do the the occasional 1-2' drop and use rocks as launch pads for jumps. I just got tired of babysitting the LX cranks and could afford to go back to a fit it and forget component solution.If you plan on keeping these cranks, I would recommend getting a bashguard for the outer ring as mine got chipped and bent beyond use after a couple of rides. I bent and filed the teeth back into shape and immediately installed a bashguard (weight,cash and ground clearance penalty) and have not had a ring problem since in 3yrs. The middle ring never wore out, granny ring is steel and did fine. Major downside is the BB replacement every year or so, $35 if you do it yourself, more for the LBS. Good luck with it.