Ride Everything

Crank with q-factor less than 169mm?

I'm having a hell of a time finding a crankset with a q-factor less than 169mm. My requirements:
    • 175mm arms
    • 22/32/44 rings
    • 50mm chainline
    I'm currently using Crank Bros Cobalt SLs, and want something a little narrower. I've also tried Race Face Deus XCs, and the chainline and shifting weren't that great. Same with Shimano's FC-M952. My budget is $300-$350. ISIS would be preferred, but square taper would be OK, too.

Recommendations?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Former Bike Wrench
    Out of curiosity, any reason a 47.5mm chainline won't work? That's pretty standard for a ISIS crankset and a 113mm spindle?

Ritchey made ISIS cranksets and they were known to have pretty narrow q-factors...they still show up on E-bay pretty regularly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    my old school race face turbines (square taper) with a phil wood 113 bb on my bike is 164mm

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The 50mm chainline goes hand-in-hand with 169mm+ q-factor cranks. If you already have M952 cranks, look for a 952 derailleur on ebay and your shifting should be fine. I assume you tried to use the M952 cranks with a newer, 50mm chainline derailleur?

I read on this forum somewhere that Middleburn cranks are around 164mm q-factor, but they are probably 47.5 chainline as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Middleburn RS7 are 167-168mm Q-factor and 50mm chainline, ISIS version with 113mm BB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

White Industries VBC

You could check out White Industries VBC crank. That will probably be my next crank. I saw them at the NAHBS and they were sweet. They come in square taper only.