Thread: Crank puller?

mtbr member

Crank puller?

can someone explain to me what the purpose of a crank puller is? i got a new crankset and need to remove my cranks, but i dont really know what a crank puller does. cant you just pull the crank off the axle with your hands?

sorry, its kind of a noobish question

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ANdRewLIu6294
    can someone explain to me what the purpose of a crank puller is? i got a new crankset and need to remove my cranks, but i dont really know what a crank puller does. cant you just pull the crank off the axle with your hands?
    A crank puller is used to remove the cranks from the bottom bracket's spindle. Even when the crank / spindle interface has been well greased, the cranks are usually impossible to remove by hand.

If you purchase a crank puller, make sure it's of the correct size. Splined bottom bracket spindles need a slightly larger diameter crank puller than the older square taper spindles. (The part that pushes on the splined spindle is larger. If you try using one of the older, crank pullers intended for square taper cranks, you'll find that it just goes into the hole and doesn't push against anything.)

The other thing to look out for is the bolt washer. These washers need to be removed from the crank before using the crank puller. Sometimes it's not obvious that they're there.

I'm such a fox
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    The other thing to look out for is the bolt washer. These washers need to be removed from the crank before using the crank puller. Sometimes it's not obvious that they're there.
    Agreed, don't ask me how I know.

I recommend a Pedro's puller, it comes with interchangeable heads so you can use it on both splined and square taper cranks, works great.