Thread: crank problem

mtbr member
    May 2008

crank problem

I have a Truvativ Hussefelt Howitzer on my GT bike, I noticed when I crank hard I feel a slight clunk. When I rotate 180 degrees and stand on pedals I feel it again on my left crank. I clunked it one way and got up and close and pressed down on the left crank by hand in the opposite direction and the crank is moving. I took the crank arms off both sides, checked the BB was tight, I put the crank arms back on and still get the same thing as if the crank arm is moving on the shaft or something. Any ideas? What should I do to fix this? DO you think my crank arm and BB shaft is worn?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    From your description this seems to be a classic case of a crank arm that is loose on the spindle. You can try tightening it more but it sounds like you've tried that. Probably, from riding it a while with a slightly loose crank, you've worn the arm a bit and now no amount of tightening will help.

It's trime to replace the crank arm.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    where is the best place to buy unloacally? I dont have a good LBS around here.
    Also Im not sure what to get, I want to go back with the same thing. It has a single sprocket with 38 stamped on the back and a Gamuti rock guard that Im assuming was put on this bike by the previous owner and can be removed to be put on the new crank???
    Last edited by thebluesbox; 03-23-2009 at 12:45 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I talked to the guy that previously owned this bike he says the crank is about a year old and never has ran it loose. When I discovered the problem it wasnt all that loose either, the crank arm bolt was pretty tight, so that I really couldnt notice the problem unless I cranked real hard. I dont understand how it could be worn so early in its life and hasnt seemed to run loose by neither me or the previous owner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Back in the day, cranks had square taper mounting, and a bit of play was easily resolved with greater mounting pressure. However, sometime back the gods decreed that tapers are passe and unnecessary. Now we have the current, highly unforgiving spline drives under a variety of names, but all with the similar trait of unfixability when they begin to develop play.

Consider it a cost of progress.

BTW- all might not be lost. Remember I haven't seen the bike so my opinion is only a blind guess. Before spending dough drop in at an LBS for a quick look see. PM me your location and I'll try to come up with some names, or, if as your name implies you're someplace near New orleans, visit Bicycle Michaels in the French quarter, and tell him francis from NY sent you. If that's too far, you might ask here at mtbr for the closest good shop near your city.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I took the crank set down like 5 times on both sides trying to determin in fact thats what the play is coming from and it is, because thats the only thing that moves. If I just snug the bolts down I can feel two slight clunks one for each side crank, the more I tighten the arms the harder force it takes me to make the slack evident. So I think your correct and by visual inspection I can sort of see a little wear on both the crank arms and the BB spindle.

I did a little digging and found a few bike shops a few towns over, yeah New Orleans is too far, at least a couple hours away, there are closer, one being capital shwinn cyclery. I think I'll swing by there with it and let them have a look.