mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Crank making a tick noise?

Ive got a tricky problem. Every time I start from 0 mph or a very slow speed and put pressure on my crank, I get one tick noise that I would think would be coming from my crank. After I get going and there is not as much pressure on my crank, the tick noise does not occur. It only occurs with a lot of pressure like when I start up pedaling. Strange thing is the shop just took it off and relubed it like 2 days ago. What do you guys think? I have a stump comp 07, so the bike is very new.

I tried to take my hollowtech crank off, but found it extremely difficult to get enough torque to loosen it up. I only had a small Allen wrench. I assume they put a lot of torque on the crank bolt???

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have found tightening up the allen head screws securing the chain rings together sometimes cures this annoying problem...

...idios...
    Try taking the pedals off and regreasing the threads. Higher pitched noises usually indicate that the problem lies further from the BB. Like co_biker says, check the chainring pegs, too. Are you certain that the noise is crank related? Have you ruled out other places that would move under the increased pressure you mention, like where the stem clamps the bars or the seatpin clamps the rails of the saddle?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler