Get Down Do you

Crank Length Question

I was recently reading a bunch of websites and came across this

Is this true b/c if it is I have been way over my crank length for years. All my bikes have come with 180mm (7 inches from eye to eye center) and I only have a 28 1/2 inch inseam. Should I shorten the cranks to 170mm? Or would it really make that much of a difference? Does a shorter crank throw off handling Characteristics? I have never ridden anything other than 180mm and checking my last 3 bikes they are all the same. It could explain why I suck on climbs so much but I doubt it

BTW: I found this:
    Mountain bikes generally get cranks 2.5–5mm longer than road bikes; that is, you might want a 175mm crank on your mountain bike if you’re set up with a 172.5 on your road bike.

and I believe that the chart was for road cranks but it doesn't say so on the site.
    Last edited by Muggsly; 01-24-2006 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Added info to be more clear.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

[SIZE="3"] Click to see my Orange Ano Blur LT[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Dude!
    I am 5'4" with a 29" inseam.
    I used to have 180m cranks on my MTB and 175m cranks on my roadbike.
    I started to log on miles and my knees developed tendonitus!
    I had to go put shorter 175m cranks on my MTB. I bought a small 04' team Scalpel that came with 172.5m cranks with a wide as Q-factor for large frame people (chainrings stuck way out even farther than XT!)
    I had to get rid of it!
    I am on 175m XTR 960 cranks that I narrowed the Q-factor and it feels great for a small dude like me instead of riding a horse like they first came!
    My roadbike, I went down to a 170m compact FSA but I lost alot of leverage!
    I am on 172.5 length crank arms and now I can scare the bigger roadies when it's time to sprint!
    To me, crank length did make a difference to me!
    I am not a spinner anyways so the recommended short cranks for my size just did'nt work for me.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast1000
    now I can scare the bigger roadies when it's time to sprint!
    he can too!

sup SuperV?

mtbr member
    May 2005

Does size really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by jjay
    he can too!

sup SuperV?
    Fine jjay!
    Trying to help a brotha out!
    Have you read your private messages??
    I will answer that for you! "NO!"

I'd say that chart is for road bikes primarily from what I've seen before. 7 inches exactly would more likely be a 177.5 mm crank, still kinda long for what would normally come on a bike for your size IME. Personally I use 172.5 road/175 mtn; when I tried a 177.5 on my ss my knees said go back to 175. The only effect a longer crank might have on handling that I can think of is that it's closer to the ground and easier to strike on obstacles or in turns. You might find spinning a bit easier with a shorter crank. I wouldn't jump from 180/177.5s to 170s; I'd try 175s or 172.5s first based on how my knees reacted to a small increase, but maybe it's less likely to cause pain by going shorter?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Get Down Do you
    They are 7.1 approx so they must be a 180mm since i have never seen a 177mm unless Spec and Giant both make odd sizes. My giant is a Small and My spec is a medium you figure that at least the giant would come with smaller crank arms but I guess not. I am guessing that I will have to add new Cranks to my Wishlist. I was looking at Crank arms for my Spec and they are nearly as expensive as a whole new crank set. Also having an Octolink BB unfortunately sticks me in the shimano realm. Well I guess an new BB wouldn't hurt me either.

And I was thinking that I would go to a 175mm at 1st and see if I like it. My LBS is a road heavy shop so I might just jump on a couple roadies with different size Crank Arms to see what I like best.

Thanks for all the info guys it is much appreciated.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

[SIZE="3"] Click to see my Orange Ano Blur LT[/SIZE]