Thread: Crank length ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Crank length ?

I am trying to find out the correct length crank arm ,I have been using 175 since I started riding about 4 years ago . I am 5'4" with an inseam about 27" , ride/race a Turner Flux and have been told that I should have at most 170 cranks and xtr I believe has 165 , I know that I'll lose leverage , but should be able to spin better w/o as much of a "dead band".Has anyone out there , about the same size , tried the shorter cranks , I'm about to purchase a new crankset and would like some input. Thanks

mtbr member
    It's a matter of personal choice.

Do they get in the way?
    Do they hit the ground?
    Are they too big circle?

If not then you don't really have a problem.

dirt roadie
    I'm about an inch taller than you, my mtb has 175mm cranks and my cross bike has 170mm cranks. I ride both just fine and don't notice any 'dead band'.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flux
    I am trying to find out the correct length crank arm ,I have been using 175 since I started riding about 4 years ago . I am 5'4" with an inseam about 27" , ride/race a Turner Flux and have been told that I should have at most 170 cranks and xtr I believe has 165 , I know that I'll lose leverage , but should be able to spin better w/o as much of a "dead band".Has anyone out there , about the same size , tried the shorter cranks , I'm about to purchase a new crankset and would like some input. Thanks
    With that short of an inseam I would say that 170's would be more appropriate than 175's. I have one short leg, and the problem I have with too long a crank is that my knee is too deeply bent at the top of the pedal stroke. Is this the "dead band" you are talking about?

My normal leg is about 30 inseam and the short one is 28. The 30" one feels OK on either 170's or 175's, but the 28" one does not feel good on 175's.