Thread: Crank issue

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Crank issue

I wouldn't say I'm a complete noobie but I still have a lot to learn. Here's my issue..... on Sat. I went for a ride and about 3 miles in I noticed my right pedal was loose. When I stopped I found out it had actually stripped out the crank. Basically, after I unclipped I actually pulled my pedal straight out of the crank with the threads from the crank still wrapped around my pedal. I know I did not cross-thread the pedals because I put them on by hand and only used a wrench at the very end. My bike is an '09 Gary Fisher Wahoo disc with the stock crank. According to their website its a Shimano Acera FC-M341-S. I guess I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone else ever had anything like this happen?
    2. Should I try contacting Shimano, could it be defective?
    3. Can I buy a replacement arm or should I just upgrade the crank all together?

If I should just upgrade, what are your recomendations? I ride almost exclusively single track in Michigan. I count my self lucky if I can get out more than once a week. So I don't want/need/can afford a top of the line crank. Thanks for any advice you can give.

one less car
    couldn't find a decent pic, but this thread is on page2 of google

anyway, it sounds like, and assuming the acera has them, a steel insert came somewhat too loose. was there a piece of metal on the pedal threads a few mm thick? if so, it shouldn't be too difficult to remove, but I suspect you're lookin at a new crank. dunno if that insert can be put back wout it coming out again.
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    No, it was just the threads from the crank that came out. They were still in the groves in the pedal when I pulled it out. I think I'm just going to get a new crank. These both seem like good deals. Will I see much of a difference going with the SLX? Is it even worth it?

Shimano LX - $79
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Crankset.aspx

Shimano SLX - $135
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Cranks+Oe.aspx

mtbr member
    Shimano probably won't warrant the pedal threads being damaged. It could be that it was installed cross threaded. Other than finding another arm you can take the damaged arm and have a Helicoil installed. You can google Helicoil and read whats involved but its a great fix for this. A additional plus to this is Helicoil threads are stainless steel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks, I hadn't heard of a helicoil before. How much does this typically cost? Is it even worth trying to fix this stock crank or should I just upgrade? Sorry for all the questions, this is just my first broken part that's prevented me from riding.

mtbr member
    I'd think not more than $25~$30 to have it done. The way it works is the present hole is drilled out slightly larger removing the old threads then it's retapped for the Helicoil to be threaded into reducing back to 9/16" It's a solid fix.