Bike Geek

crank install question

Ok,

I swapped out the stock cranks and bb on a 2003 or 2004 giant warp, and put on shimano lx octalink cranks and bb. the chain was also swapped fro a sram 8 speed pc-58. I believe the old crank had a 42 big ring, and the new one has a 44 big ring. Now the font shifting throws the chain off. I tried to adjust, but have had no luck on it so far.

When I shift from 1 to 2, it goes from the granny to the big ring and skips the middle ring. When I go to 3, it throws the chain off. Is this an issue with the limit bolts, or the tightness of the cable? Do i have to bring the front dr up a bit? It is a low level 8 speed front dr, and 8 speed shifters.

I don't have my trusty bike mechanics manual with me, so I was hoping you guys could give me the basic info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    sounds like the 'chainline' for the new cranks is different to the old (ie: the chainrings are not spaced out as far from the frame). as such, the FD is overshooting.

should be a simple matter of adjusting the cable and limit-screws.

there's a small chance the FD is not compatible with a 44/32/22 crankset (which i presume you have now), but usually no probs (ie: if it worked with a 42t triple crankset it should with a 44).

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]