mtbr member
    Jan 2004

crank help (x-post SS)

No, I don't have a drug problem. However, due to some leg problems, I was told I might do better with some wider cranks. (Don't freak out PeT. )

I currently run 170mm Sugino XD300 cranks with just a middle ring on my SS. The Sugino's are inexpensive, and not too heavy after removing all the steel rings. They are actually pretty darn good. I use a IRD 118mm square taper BB, (I did this because I also have a Speedhub) so its not like my q factor is all that narrow to begin with.

Because I need to go wider, I'm kind of thinking I need to get some external BB cranks instead of the Middleburns I probably really wanted...

So, any suggestions based on the above info? I won't spend more than Middleburns would have cost. Should I get Shimono XT's, Race Face Evolves?

I want a good crank that doesn't weigh more than my current setup (I'd like to actually loose weight if I can)...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bump, because I could use the suggestions...

XT's because they are wide, or Middleburns with a wider than 118mm BB?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    While there's been heated discussion about Q-factors over the years, I don't think there's a meaningful difference between the narrowest and widest cranksets out there. Yes, higher Q-factors can effect cornering angles, but as far as your legs or hips are concerned, a slight change in width in Q-factor isn't going to mean much.

Rather than changing cranks, go to a good road-bike shop, and ask them to evaluate your pedalling bio-mechanics. Many riders find they can greatly reduce stress on their joints by shimming their shoes, among other things. If you PM me your location, I might be able to suggest someone who can help.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.