zip it up, zip it out
    Jun 2006

Crank creak i think

When i stand up and pedal harder than normal i have noticed a creaking that can be felt in the no drive side crank arm. This creaking can be heard / felt when the drive side crank arm is at 2 o clock position in its stroke

any ideas as to what it could be or how to fix it ?

The drive train is a truative isoflow oem crank set, and 8 speed shimano deore derailer with sram 8spd cass.

Thank you in advance for any help

ups and downs
    pedals, bottom bracket cup threads, bottom bracket bearings, bottom bracket to crank interface, chainring bolts being a bit loose, even the seatpost and seatpost saddle clamp could all cause that sort of creak. The only real fix is to diassemble and begin greasing things and reassemble and try it out. A process of frustration/elimination.

zip it up, zip it out
    Jun 2006
    wow that sux i was really hoping i wouldnt have to do all that but i geuss i should, any recomendation on grease, can i use white lithum ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    A process of frustration/elimination.
    So true. Best bet is to check everything. Take off the rear wheel, make sure axles are properly adjusted, etc. Don't be so sure the creak is coming from the crank.

Bikes have a built in stethoscope, put your ear against the seat while the wheels are spinning, or any other turning component, to check for unusual noise. Well adjusted bearings should hum.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    start off with the seatpost, remove, clean post & tube, regrease post
    then the stem, remove clean post and stem re install & torque
    99% of the time that will do it, the creaking from these 2 travels around the frame tubing and sounds like its coming from the BB, especially since its usually when pedaling hard