Cereal Killer

Crank Brothers Candy 2 pedals, bushing play?

I have some Candy 2 pedals, and have put about 50 to 75 miles on them. I'm noticing just a touch of play between the pedal body and the axle. So, I took them apart, relubed everything, and put back together (according to directions). Still have the touch of play in them, and was wondering if anyone else is having this issue, or is it something that needs to be addressed? The bushing couldn't be worn out already, could they? I'm a heavy rider, but lord, they should last a little longer than that.

Also, (which I think this is related to the pedal problem just mentioned), but when I'm pedalling, I can notice a small clicking or creaking sound, and it's at the same exact location in the rotation each time. I don't get the click when I'm not pedalling, so I believe the pedals may be the culprit, or possibly the crank/bottom bracket. The crank is a Sram S-1000 3x10 cranks. Checked all of the it and the bottom bracket, feels just as good as new, no nicks or anything anywhere. Bottom bracket bearings feel buttery smooth as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    What direction(s) of play is being experienced? Is the axle end nut on snug? It certainly could be the bushing, but also could be the bearing. I had the same problem with my Candy SL's--gave up on them after only a few month's, but only after they gave up on me. IMO, they should use angular contact bearings in this application, because the pedal receives a good deal of lateral/axial load. You may want to look into replacing your bearings with Enduro MAX type bearings (if they make them in that size) as they are able to withstand greater loads. Or just get a different set of pedals that aren't CB. Crank Bro's stuff is certainly pretty to look at, but they can't make a damn thing right that has moving parts.

Cereal Killer
    The play is on the inside part, right where the bushing meets the axle. The axle nut is definitely snug, double checked that one. The bearings felt really good, like I said brand new and no play at all. just feels like the bushing is just a sliver too big, not snug enough. I agree, would be much better if they were actual bearings instead of bushings.

I've been getting a little jaded with their pedals, had a pair before, Acids (OEM, not even able to self-service the bearings and such), and they started doing the same thing. O'well, what's another freaking $80? Frustrating for sure.

Send 'em back, and ask them how much to upgrade to the Candy 3, with needle bearings instead of a bushing.

Plays with tools
    sell them on cragslist and buy a pedal that isn't a flaming pile of poo

Cereal Killer
    Well, I don't think they're a flaming pile of poo. lol I've had pedals that were a lot worse. At least I haven't really had troubles with them, other than what I explained.

I'm wondering if I would be able to use the Candy 3 rebuild kit to upgrade to the needle bearings on these? Anyone know if this will work or not? That would be cheaper than returning them and buying 3's, or something else. If no one replies telling me yes or no if it will work by this evening, I'll go ahead and get the kit and try it. Will report back on my results.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Good luck. Might as well stock up on rebuilt kits if you plan to keep them. Sorry, just bitter that I let the elegance and aesthetics of CB products inform my decisions. Never again!

Cereal Killer
    Well, I replaced the bushing on my Candy 2 pedal with the needle bearing set for the 3's. Works like a charm. The wobble is gone, and they are smooth as butter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My candy 3's had the same problems. Sent them back and received an equally loose pair. Rebuilt and torqued yet the problem persists. Seems to be a sloppy tolerance in the machining if you ask me. The play is always a little different in each pedal.