mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Crank Bros. Rant

I'm venting a little here, but wanted to share my story. Bought 2 sets of EggBeaters when they first came out, one for the Crosser one for the MTB. The MTB set developed some bushing play that CB said was an issue with the '02 version and sent me a new set of the '03 S version for a very nominal fee. Good custoemr service. Well that was in February of this year. I was taking my MTB apart to build up a new frame and noticed the drive side pedal had developed a little bit of play. Called CB who again said that it should not happen and they would warranty me a new pedal and pay for the return of the old one. Now I have to admit I did not notice a decrease in performance, it was ony when the pedal was in my hand. week later I leave for a vacation with, you guessed it, no new pedal. Second day into the holiday drive side pedal comes apart and the internals are SHREDDED! Had to go to a LBS and pay $120 for a set of Candy;s. I stayed with the CB''s because the LBS did not carry Time and even if they had, I would now have to either buy two sets or swap between 2 (soon to be 3) bikes with one set. Get home and the replacement pedal still isn;t there after another week+ had elapsed. They had the wrong address! Guess I get what I deserve for buying another set, but if any of these fail, I'm going to Time!! CB has given me decent Customer Service (if the pedal had gotten to me sooner, I would not have had the blowout or had to shell out the $$$), but with the delay and the address thing their CS mark is dropping fast. Not meant to be a bash, but if you're in the market for pedals...food for thought.

mtbr member
    How often do you service them? ie add fresh grease? Takes 15 minutes at most and it'll make your pedals last a lot longer.

A Midwesterner in Europe
    Sep 2004
    Crank Bros. had problems with bearings in those, ever notice how some shops have the rebuild kits right next to the pedals? Most EggBeaters are fine after a rebuild, that is if you don't service them properly. But it sounds like yours were brand new, so that shouldn't be an issue......

mtbr member
    May 2004

I posted this last week...

Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad
    I'm venting a little here, but wanted to share my story. Bought 2 sets of EggBeaters when they first came out, one for the Crosser one for the MTB. The MTB set developed some bushing play that CB said was an issue with the '02 version and sent me a new set of the '03 S version for a very nominal fee. Good custoemr service. Well that was in February of this year. I was taking my MTB apart to build up a new frame and noticed the drive side pedal had developed a little bit of play. Called CB who again said that it should not happen and they would warranty me a new pedal and pay for the return of the old one. Now I have to admit I did not notice a decrease in performance, it was ony when the pedal was in my hand. week later I leave for a vacation with, you guessed it, no new pedal. Second day into the holiday drive side pedal comes apart and the internals are SHREDDED! Had to go to a LBS and pay $120 for a set of Candy;s. I stayed with the CB''s because the LBS did not carry Time and even if they had, I would now have to either buy two sets or swap between 2 (soon to be 3) bikes with one set. Get home and the replacement pedal still isn;t there after another week+ had elapsed. They had the wrong address! Guess I get what I deserve for buying another set, but if any of these fail, I'm going to Time!! CB has given me decent Customer Service (if the pedal had gotten to me sooner, I would not have had the blowout or had to shell out the $$$), but with the delay and the address thing their CS mark is dropping fast. Not meant to be a bash, but if you're in the market for pedals...food for thought.
    I found that the eggs spindle IMHO(I have one of the original 2002's) was machined too long. Allowed the pedals to wobble even if greased, etc. I filed the spindle ends down little be little until the pedals didn't wobble any more. No other way to do it as shimming the end screw doesn't work. Filed a little, installed, filed a little, installed, voila fixed, no more wobble.