mtbr member

Crank Bros Cobalt Sl -Dust caps!

So I have a set of these cranks, so far so good unitl the BB started to creak and make grinding noises, I removed the cranks, removed the BB and decided to change the BB to a Crank Bros Overkill isis BB. Off to ride again for several miles, several trails and same issue, so I think hmm maybe I should switch BB's! I order a FSA Ti BB and of course it has different size crank bolts becasue no ne in the industry can be the same!!!!so I try to remove the crank bolts from the Coblats and no dice! The self extracting/removing bolts are fused,threadlocked, or overly torqued that not me, a LBS or another LBS can remove the dust caps....we use liquid wrench, several sets of hands, spanners, and even heat to soften up the gu that crank bros might have used and still no removal.
    I now have a set of Crank bros for sale I think.......
    I've also emailed Crank bros but have not received an answer yet.
    Anyone else have this problem?
    Last edited by Jeff F; 05-10-2008 at 08:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Are your bolts frozen or rather that you can't get the dust caps off? I'm not sure this helps and you've probably heard back from CB but I had similar issues with using the cobalts while wanting to use an FSA Ti bb. Yep, different bolts (m14 vs m15) which is no big deal (CB shipped them out immediately at no extra charge). I tried two spanner wrenches, a vice, and 4 human hands and still couldn't get the dust caps to budge. After scoring them from repeated attempts I ended up hammering them off with a punch. CB sent new dust caps as well and also the sage advice that maybe they had torqued a few of the early ones a bit too hard with their 6 point special tool.

Anyway, it's all a moot point because I just bent my 3rd pair of cobalt cranks. Apparently not stiff enough for 200# and 2 foot drops on a 5" travel squishy bike I just can't convince myself to go Shimano and never had good luck with RF.