mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Crank Bros. Candy 1 to replace Time ATAC?

Hey guys. I have an old set of Time ATAC pedals, in ridable shape but with worn-out bearings and in need of new cleats.
    I took a look at some newer pedals, and noticed the Crank Bros. Candy 1, which sells for not so much more than the price of some ATAC cleats! They're also lighter than the ATACs by about 200g, which is nice because my bike is a little chunky.
    I have a couple questions about the Candy 1s...
    1) They have an inner bushing instead of a bearing. Is this an issue?
    2) The outer cage of the pedal is plastic. How durable is this plastic? I am riding XC and occasionally barrel over some logs.
    3) The cleats are made of brass. I remember the ATACs have a brass cleat as well, and the way they click out changes significantly (it gets easier) as time passes. Is this an issue with the Crank Bros. pedals?
    4) The Candys have a similar mechanism to the Times. Do they also perform well in the mud?
    Thanks, guys, for any advice you can provide.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

Former Bike Wrench
    1) Yes, they tend to wear out quicker
    2) Reasonably durable
    3) Very similar to the Time
    4) A big difference between the ATAC and Crank Bros mechanism is that both sides of the pedal are independent on the ATAC's. On the Crank Bros they are connected so if you strike your pedal on a rock or log, it will cause the pedal to release. Otherwise they work very similar in the mud.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks. Are the bushings replaceable, or is this a price-point product, intended for not-serious users and people who will upgrade to something else? Also, how easy (or possible) is it to access the bearing to lube it? Is it reasonably well-sealed? Can it be removed and replaced?
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    Thanks. Are the bushings replaceable, or is this a price-point product, intended for not-serious users and people who will upgrade to something else? Also, how easy (or possible) is it to access the bearing to lube it? Is it reasonably well-sealed? Can it be removed and replaced?
    Bushing are replaceable and the pedals (except maybe OEM versions found online) come with a grease port end cap to grease the outer bearing and inner bushing without removing the pedals from the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks again. Seems amazing anybody would pay 350 bucks for the Candy 111s.

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    Thanks again. Seems amazing anybody would pay 350 bucks for the Candy 111s.

Thats the cost when you want Titanium.