83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004

Crank Bolts with Bash Guards

Help! I have a Saint bash guard 'd like to use with a Specialized crank. The bolt heads are too small to attach it. Is there some way to do this or are the Saint bolts and heads much larger thean normal crank bolts? I'd planned to buy a RF guard to use with my Deus crank. Will I have the same problem with it?
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by paddlefoot64
    Help! I have a Saint bash guard 'd like to use with a Specialized crank. The bolt heads are too small to attach it. Is there some way to do this or are the Saint bolts and heads much larger thean normal crank bolts? I'd planned to buy a RF guard to use with my Deus crank. Will I have the same problem with it?
    I don't know about the Specialized or Saint products, but I have a Race Face Evolve XC crank on one of my bikes that I replaced the stock big ring with a Race Face bash ring and I used the old chainring bolts to put on the new bash ring with no problems. If your Specialized chainring is similar to a Race Face chainring around the bolt holes, then I would imagine there would be no problem using those bolts to put on a Race Face bash ring.

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    I should have entitled this post, chain ring bolts. I ended up drilling and filing some brass washers from Home Depot to fit the current Specialized chain ring bolts. Now the Saint bash guard fits fine. You can't really tell they are home made from a distance. This will keep my daughter from having gear tracks on her leg and she really does not need the big ring anyway.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by paddlefoot64
    I should have entitled this post, chain ring bolts. I ended up drilling and filing some brass washers from Home Depot to fit the current Specialized chain ring bolts. Now the Saint bash guard fits fine. You can't really tell they are home made from a distance. This will keep my daughter from having gear tracks on her leg and she really does not need the big ring anyway.
    Glad it worked out for you!