mtbr member

crank arm length

I have question about crank arm length. Given that longer arms provide more leverage is there any downside to using the longest arm that does not cause interference? I am pondering any tradeoff and cannot think of any reason to not use the lengest arms that are safe.
    Out of the trailer and onto the trail.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by trail(er)trash
    I have question about crank arm length. Given that longer arms provide more leverage is there any downside to using the longest arm that does not cause interference? I am pondering any tradeoff and cannot think of any reason to not use the lengest arms that are safe.
    Crankarms that are too long for "your legs" could create knee problems.

Monte

chips & bier

Check on the SS board

and search for "180 vs 175 mm" or something like that. You will find 1,001 different ideas and opinions, many of which are worth the read.

mtbr member
    I agree that too long a crank can place extra stress on the knees when spinning. But if there are no knee problems crank arm length is always a compomise between levarage (torque) and spinning efficiency.

Remember that leverage can be addressed by appropriate gear ratios, but spinning through a too large circumference can create too much fatigue (even when the force applied is reduced by appropriate gear ratios).
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track