mtbr member
    May 2007

Crank arm issues (oops)

Well, I went out for my first trail ride this weekend. My right pedal was not fully tight at the start of the ride and about half-way through, I had to get off the trail and limp back to the car. My pedal was cocked sideways in the crank pretty good.
    So, the threads on the crank arm are pretty torn up. Once I had some tools, I was able to remove and replace the pedal correctly and ride a little longer. But, I know the threads are chewed up and I don't want to have to worry about it breaking or giving out on me. So, my options look like:
    A) helicoil through my LBS for ~$20
    B) new crank arm/crankset (oo, time to upgrade?)

The big question is, how on earth do I figure out what fits my bike and what doesn't? I'm looking at cranksets, but I don't even know where to begin searching for such a thing. Can you point me in the right direction?

Schwinn Mesa GSD
    BB: TruVativ sealed cartridge square taper 68 x 113 w/ chainline stabilizer
    Crankset: TruVativ Iso-Flow alloy arms, 42-32-22

Thanks for helping a new rider

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Unless you are set on the upgrade path, go with the helicoil at the lbs.

I have bought crank sets and they say they fit, but you have to mess with things for a while. Cranksets seemed to be the thing I broke the most. (Three in 8 years)

If you are not sure about what goes on your bike, go to a shop that carries that brand and tell them what you got. There is usually one or two guys in the shop that know parts really well. Talk to one of those. If you have them install it, you get to have them make sure it fits right.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, I'm not set on the upgrade path, but I know this crankset (Iso flow) is pretty low level/low durability. I am looking into a Truvativ Hussefelt crankset, which seems to be more durable and able to handle some more abuse. It also uses an ISIS BB which seems to be stronger than my square tapered one.

But, I'll goto the LBS for a helicoil so I can keep riding until I really break it.

mtbr member
    May 2007

3 to 2 ring

Well, looks like I'm gonna replace the crankset afterall.

I'm looking to put on a Holzfeller setup ( 36-24) to replace my three ring. I found a setup that includes crank arms, BB, bashguard and a chain guide. Would I need to modify/replace any other parts? I'm concerned about my 3 speed shifter and front derailleur mainly.

TIA

Former Bike Wrench
    Should all work fine...leave your front derailluer at the height is would be with a triple chainring setup (assuming it will work OK with the chain guide) and just tighten the high (H) set screw so it wont shift off the middle ring.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sweet, thanks for the quick reply!

eat your porridge jordie
    Depending on how hard you ride a helicoil will not last long for the pedal.
    "If you want to do something ordinary people can't, you have to be willing to do what ordinary people won't"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm a lightweight (130#) and still new to the sport. I bet a helicoil would work for a while...

In the end, if I'm gonna spend money fixing/upgrading, it might as well be for a quality part that's going to take the abuse.