mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Couple of dumb questions

1. Does an xo rear d. have a barrel adjuster? I bought a used one and it doesn't have one. In looking at pics on the internet, I don't see one. Also in reading the installation instructions, it doesn't mention using it, it only mentions the barrel adjusters on the shifter. Before I install the cable, I'd like to know that I don't need one.

2. When shifting into the 11t gear on my rear cog, the chain gets caught up on the deraillure hanger. I'm almost certain on have the cog on the wheel all the way and that the wheel is centered on the bike. What am I doing wrong? It's a sram 990 cassette and chain.

Thanks
    Last edited by Ruinane; 07-11-2006 at 09:29 AM.
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    1. There is no barrel adjuster on the derailleur, just on the shifter .

2. I'm a little confused as to what the problem is. I think you're saying that it's shifting beyond the highest gear into the hanger. If this is the case you need to adjust the H screw, to be more specific you need to wind it in. This will restrict the movement of the derailleur outward.

Check here for more info: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spl@t
    1. There is no barrel adjuster on the derailleur, just on the shifter .

2. I'm a little confused as to what the problem is. I think you're saying that it's shifting beyond the highest gear into the hanger. If this is the case you need to adjust the H screw, to be more specific you need to wind it in. This will restrict the movement of the derailleur outward.

Check here for more info: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64
    1. That's good to know. Thanks.

2. No, it's not shifting beyond the highest gear. It's on the highest gear and hitting the hanger. After reading your post, I thought, "Well, maybe it's too far over on the cog". But, it's not. The second it gets onto the 11t, it gets caught on the hanger.
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I don't suppose you can post some pics to clarify. The only other thing I can think of is that your body tension is set wrong. The gap between the guide pulley and the sprocket should be 6mm as per Sram's manual.

MTJ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Limit Screws?

I agree that pictures wold help, I'm not sure we get what you mean. It sounds like limit screws to me, but I might not be picturing this right.

If it is limit screws, do this. The high limit screw needs to be "tightened" so that the derailleur stays in line with the smallest cog. Shift into that gear (on a workstand, not while riding) and turn the limit screw in. You should see the derailleur move closer to the cog. Keep turning until it's lined up. Then shift to the biggest cog and do the same with the low limit screw.

If not, hopefully a picture will clear it up.

EDR
    'B' tension screw adjustment. Adjust it to proper spec, like Spl@t said.

B-Screw Adjustment

From the Park site:

After setting the L-screw, check the "B-screw" for an adequate setting. The B-screw controls the derailleur body angle, hence the name, B-screw. Shift to the innermost rear cog, which is the largest cog. View the upper pulley relative to the largest cog. If the pulley is rubbing against this cog, tighten the B-screw to increase upper pivot spring tension, which pulls the pulley back and away from the cog. If there is a large gap between the upper pulley and cog, loosen the screw. To find a good setting, loosen the B-screw until the upper pulley begins to rub, then tighten the screw to get clearance.

Watch pulley against cog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    2. Your derailleur hanger is bent slightly inward. Get a derailleur alignment tool, or take the bike to the LBS and have them straighten it, or just buy and install a brand new hanger. You _can_ bend it out by hand, using the derailleur as a lever, but that's not a good idea.