mtbr member

Could this be anything besides a worn out cassette?

just changed my chain, greased up my hub (wtb laserdisc) and went riding.. it skips on the 32 tooth (11-32 cassette) now.. but only when in the 22 front ring. doesnt skip anywhere else, including the 32/32 front/rear combo. all other gear combos are fine. derailleur is adjusted properly.

the chain was right at 1/16th stretch and performed flawlessly in all gears when removed. this cassette has seen 2 chains so far, but never ran over 1/16th stretch.

if my freehub was binding up or something, theres no way it could only do it in the 22/32 combo, right? its throwing me off that it wont skip in the 32 front ring, im guessing it has something to do with the angle?

the cassette teeth also look perfect, no shark fin or anything. should i just replace the cassette anyway?

mtbr member
    Yes, replace the cassette, and you might find the chainrings also need to be changed.

Tim

MTB B'dos
    Um, not to be mean, but if it's only jumping in the 22(granny) and 32 (granny) combo then I'd most certainly have to assume it was the 22 ring, since this is normally one of the straightest gear combos on a bike. What would make you even cosider it's the cassette?? I bet you use the granny ring a lot it's small, has few teeth and there by takes a lot of load on each tooth and wears fast if you grind a lot in it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It sounds like the 22t should be replaced. That would be the cheapest way to troubleshoot the problem.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    you may want to check this thread, Chain slipping on smallest gears on cassette I was suffering the same problem but with the middle ring too, I finally adjusted it properly and replace the chain link...I only got one slipping moment in a very steep hill but now it seems that the chain is more "used" to the cassette so it works fine...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That's a good thread. Now you have me thinking the derailleur might need adjusting. He might try the barrel adjustment first, and or the stop screw. I would turn the bike upside down, and run the gears. Then make whatever adjustments are needed. If that doesn't work, I would look elsewhere for the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by suba
    That's a good thread. Now you have me thinking the derailleur might need adjusting. He might try the barrel adjustment first, and or the stop screw. I would turn the bike upside down, and run the gears. Then make whatever adjustments are needed. If that doesn't work, I would look elsewhere for the problem.
    Why run the gears with the bike upside down?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That's what I do. I don't have a stand.

mtbr member
    It sounds to me like you might just need to turn the low adjuster screw on the RD out half turn or so. Try that and let us know what happens.

the reason im thinking that is that it only skips in the 22x32 combo, which happens to be as far inward as the chain can get on the bike. When you shift into the middle ring it moves the angle of the chain just enough to stop it from skipping. Its pretty rare for the 32 tooth to wear out first since it has the most chain wrap. Generally it starts skipping on the smallest cogs first due to the smaller number of teeth
    Last edited by Destin; 03-15-2010 at 10:41 AM.
    Check out this organization that I ride with:
    www.r2rministry.org

http://www.facebook.com/destindanserphotography

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Um, not to be mean, but if it's only jumping in the 22(granny) and 32 (granny) combo then I'd most certainly have to assume it was the 22 ring, since this is normally one of the straightest gear combos on a bike. What would make you even cosider it's the cassette?? I bet you use the granny ring a lot it's small, has few teeth and there by takes a lot of load on each tooth and wears fast if you grind a lot in it.
    doesnt slip in any other gear besides the 32 rear sprocket.. i stepped down and used the 28 tooth cog. why would you call out the 22 tooth ring if it doesnt skip in any other gear combo, including the very cross chained 22/11 combo?

the bike shifts flawlessly. doesnt ghost shift, doesnt miss gears, doesnt drag the front derailleur. ive already readjusted it and reset the limit screws. i just dont get why it doesnt skip in 32/32.

i run 2x9 and use about 3 cogs on the rear. everythings a steep grinding climb here, i blow out lots of middle rings too.

its stretched out 2 chains already, i think its just done. going to try an slx cassette.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just curious. What chain are you running. Have you tried a 991 cross step ?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Destin
    It sounds to me like you might just need to turn the low adjuster screw on the RD out half turn or so. Try that and let us know what happens.

the reason im thinking that is that it only skips in the 22x32 combo, which happens to be as far inward as the chain can get on the bike. When you shift into the middle ring it moves the angle of the chain just enough to stop it from skipping. Its pretty rare for the 32 tooth to wear out first since it has the most chain wrap. Generally it starts skipping on the smallest cogs first due to the smaller number of teeth
    This agrees with my thoughts. VERY simple to try, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

MTB B'dos
    Oh, sorry either didn't see or read that right probably because there was no mention of it doing this before the new chain, hence pointing to the new chain / ring interface.
    In that case, LOW LIMIT screw needs backing off a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    doesnt slip in any other gear besides the 32 rear sprocket.. i stepped down and used the 28 tooth cog. why would you call out the 22 tooth ring if it doesnt skip in any other gear combo, including the very cross chained 22/11 combo?

the bike shifts flawlessly. doesnt ghost shift, doesnt miss gears, doesnt drag the front derailleur. ive already readjusted it and reset the limit screws. i just dont get why it doesnt skip in 32/32.

i run 2x9 and use about 3 cogs on the rear. everythings a steep grinding climb here, i blow out lots of middle rings too.

its stretched out 2 chains already, i think its just done. going to try an slx cassette.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    the bike shifts flawlessly. doesnt ghost shift, doesnt miss gears, doesnt drag the front derailleur. ive already readjusted it and reset the limit screws

adjusted it out enough to skip towards dumping the chain off the back into the spokes, because that was the first thing i thought of too.. definitely not the limit screw, its set squarely.

its a pc971 chain. replaced a HG53 (which served me well).. the HG53 was quieter and shifted a bit better in all honesty, but its a poor comparison considering everything else. im not going to pass judgement on the chain yet.

so theres really no way that somehow the 22/32 combo is causing my freehub to skip? i dont know how that would make sense, but i did try a new grease in the freehub, and its the wonky weird engaging WTB plate thing.. maybe its loading it at an angle which causes it to not engage? is this just unreasonable?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

adjusted it out enough to skip towards dumping the chain off the back into the spokes, because that was the first thing i thought of too.. definitely not the limit screw, its set squarely.

its a pc971 chain. replaced a HG53 (which served me well).. the HG53 was quieter and shifted a bit better in all honesty, but its a poor comparison considering everything else. im not going to pass judgement on the chain yet.

so theres really no way that somehow the 22/32 combo is causing my freehub to skip? i dont know how that would make sense, but i did try a new grease in the freehub, and its the wonky weird engaging WTB plate thing.. maybe its loading it at an angle which causes it to not engage? is this just unreasonable?
    Remove the grease from the FH. A heavy oil is the best bet.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    But the problem is not with the freehub so why would you do that....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Remove the grease from the FH. A heavy oil is the best bet.
    its SUPER thin grease.. but i kinda think oil would be the way to go anyway. ill try that, just for the sake of having a better lube in there.

MTB B'dos
    OK, I'll just throw this out there.......have you checked the 32 cog to see if there's a broken/bent tooth/teeth on there? How much do you use that 32 cog, you might have just worn it out and if that's the case then you're most likely SOL and need a new cassette.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    jockey pulleys turning freely and not worn out too bad? I've seen bad pulleys cause skipping, but not isolated to one gear. B-screw not adjusted too far out? I'm sure you've already checked for stiff links and all the normal stuff. I don't think it'd be your 22T ring even if it was worn badly...the derailleur spring tension will take up any wear-difference in spacing and allow the cassette to run normally. If the ring were worn badly, it'll just accelerate the wear on itself and possibly skip up front or jump ship....shouldn't affect the rear though. I thought about a wobbly freehub, too, since in the L-L combo you don't have much tension and any wobble would be magnified by the larger cog.

Got me scratching my head a little here...always fun to figure out! So much easier to have the bike in front of you, though.

(edit: another thought is to check your cable to be sure it hasn't frayed or binding up somewhere....usually a problem in reverse , further down the cob, but I've seen it affect the low gears, too)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankenator
    jockey pulleys turning freely and not worn out too bad? I've seen bad pulleys cause skipping, but not isolated to one gear. B-screw not adjusted too far out? I'm sure you've already checked for stiff links and all the normal stuff. I don't think it'd be your 22T ring even if it was worn badly...the derailleur spring tension will take up any wear-difference in spacing and allow the cassette to run normally. If the ring were worn badly, it'll just accelerate the wear on itself and possibly skip up front or jump ship....shouldn't affect the rear though. I thought about a wobbly freehub, too, since in the L-L combo you don't have much tension and any wobble would be magnified by the larger cog.

Got me scratching my head a little here...always fun to figure out! So much easier to have the bike in front of you, though.

(edit: another thought is to check your cable to be sure it hasn't frayed or binding up somewhere....usually a problem in reverse , further down the cob, but I've seen it affect the low gears, too)
    The B-screw could be the cause of the problem...I never even thought of that. Make sure the teeth of the top jockey wheel arent to close to, or too far away from the 32 tooth cog when the chain is on the 22 up front. Ive seen this cause skipping too.

How much do you use the 32t cog compared to the rest of them? Like I said before, generally the smaller cogs wear out and begin skipping before the larger ones...
    Check out this organization that I ride with:
    www.r2rministry.org

http://www.facebook.com/destindanserphotography