mtbr member
    May 2010

Converting SLX 3x10->2x10 Crankset?

Hi all, I'm wondering if it is possible to convert a Shimano SLX FC-M660-10 crankset from 3x10 to 2x10. Looking at the tech diagrams, I don't see anything that would prevent me from being able to do that, however I want to make sure that it's actually doable before shelling out the money for the new chainrings.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Take off your big chainring. Replace with a bashguard. Bam double crank with additional protection.

Or take off your big chainring. Replace chainring bolts with singlespeed chainring bolts so you just have the granny and middle ring. Less weight if you're a weight weenie.

Adjust your front derailleur high limit screw and you're done. If you have room and feel like playing around, you can try to move the front derailleur as low as possible for better shifting but you might end up with more rubbing when crosschained.

2x10 is a marketing term. The first MTBs were singlespeeds, then 1x drivetrains, then 2x drivetrains using roadie parts, then 3x drivetrains with touring bike parts, then MTB specific gearing came out and people started using 2x setups if they knew the gearing they'd need. Then the manufacturers decided to push 2x onto everyone else while leaving 3x for people that really need a wide range of gearing.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yes, although I want to use some of the bigger chainrings that the 2x10 setups offer as I have to bike to trailheads - I frequently spin out on the road when I'm in 32-11. So I'm asking if there are any compatibility issues using the larger sized 2x10 marketed chainrings (like the 38-24 setup) in lieu of the 32-24 chainrings that are on the bike at present.

mtbr member
    Shouldnt be, but I'd definitely get a matched chainring set if you want to change your gearing. Modern chainrings consist of a number of ramps and pins to make the shifting reliable and fast. Even though you'll still have a 24T, some of the slanted/shorter teeth will be in a different location to correspond to the shift ramps and pins on the bigger ring.

Your front derailleur should still be fine.