mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Converting to single chainring.

Hey guys,

Just got back from riding around at a local school, doing stairs and what not. Then it hit me, I never shift out of my middle chainring. Not just just for urban but even on trails. I rarely if ever go out of it. My GI in the 2nd ring is 26-76 which is perfect. It seems stupid to have 3 rings when i only use one and my FD has been acting a little sketchy lately. I have never ventured into the world of single chainrings and bashguards and what have you, so I your guy's help. Do I have to buy a new crankset? Or do I just take off the 1st and 3rd ring, and put on a bashguard? If so any reccemondations? If I have to buy a new crank set, any reccomendations? I ride a little urban, mainly trails, more technical than XC. Drops no more than 4 ft. The crankset I have now is what came stock on the bike, Truvativ FiveD w/ ISIS. In the back I have 9 spd. XT.

Any suggestions?
    Matt

I <3 29ers
    Check out this thread in the General Discussions section.

one der. too many?
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Check out this thread in the General Discussions section.

one der. too many?
    Now I feel like an idiot. That thread is almost exactly my question.

Thanks a ton,
    Matt
    Last edited by MattP.; 01-15-2006 at 05:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Got another question: If I leave the inner chainring on (in case I come up to a monstrous climb ) do I still need a chain guide? What exactly is the purpose of a chain guide? Is it possible to run one w/ an inner chainring?

Thanks guys,
    Matt

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    Got another question: If I leave the inner chainring on (in case I come up to a monstrous climb ) do I still need a chain guide? What exactly is the purpose of a chain guide? Is it possible to run one w/ an inner chainring?

Thanks guys,
    Matt
    A chain guide helps in keeping the chain on the chainring. NOT 100% sure on what tooth count rings you can run (I don't know how adjustable they are), but they keep the chain on the ring. If you wanna run an inner (small) ring then you can't run a chainguide - you'll have to decide what's more important. Compromise.

You can always run a single ring up front (like a 32T or somewhere around there) and get a cassette with a 32T on it. What is your cassette spread now????

Also, if you decide that you wanna run 2 rings up front you can run a bashgaurd and it'll help to keep the chain from doing whatever it wants and doing what YOU want - for it to stay put.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    A chain guide helps in keeping the chain on the chainring. NOT 100% sure on what tooth count rings you can run (I don't know how adjustable they are), but they keep the chain on the ring. If you wanna run an inner (small) ring then you can't run a chainguide - you'll have to decide what's more important. Compromise.

You can always run a single ring up front (like a 32T or somewhere around there) and get a cassette with a 32T on it. What is your cassette spread now????

Also, if you decide that you wanna run 2 rings up front you can run a bashgaurd and it'll help to keep the chain from doing whatever it wants and doing what YOU want - for it to stay put.
    I am gonna run a 32T up front and my casette is 11-32. I think that should be good. I decided i'm gonna get a bashguard and then a Jump Stop chain stopper. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks for the info!
    Matt

mechmann_mtb
    MattP.

if you are running 104BDC cranks (XT or LX or similar) then i suggest the Spot Brand ring guard. you can also drop a bit on gearing by using the Extralite 30T chain ring (requires a little bit of modification to the outside of the spider on your cranks). i climb ALOT and run the 30T up front with an 11-34 cassette.

the jump-stop works well. i suggest you buy two of them though. keep one in your bag so if you mangle one you can replace it on the trail. i mangled mine this past weekend and it took me a while to get it to work again (didn't have a replacement).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    MattP.

if you are running 104BDC cranks (XT or LX or similar) then i suggest the Spot Brand ring guard. you can also drop a bit on gearing by using the Extralite 30T chain ring (requires a little bit of modification to the outside of the spider on your cranks). i climb ALOT and run the 30T up front with an 11-34 cassette.

the jump-stop works well. i suggest you buy two of them though. keep one in your bag so if you mangle one you can replace it on the trail. i mangled mine this past weekend and it took me a while to get it to work again (didn't have a replacement).
    Ya, im running 104BCD. Any particualr reason to get the Spot Brad one opposed to another brand?

-Matt