newbie...

Converting my 21 speed to a 7

Hi all. I'm new to the whole mountain biking seen although I've always tinkered with BMX bikes. I'm a major 4wheels and decided it would be a good thing to pickup a mountain bike for those days I didnt feel like filling my tank to hit the fullsize trails. Plus since getting my license I've become alot less active so back on a bike i go.

I bought an 02 or 03 or 04 Specialized Hardrock with no disc's off my dad who got it so it could sit in our basement for 3+ years. So now I'm in the process of making it mine. I want to convert it to a 7 speed for the simplicty and to remove one more factor of failure in the driveline. It has Truvativ X-Forge cranks on it which I am pretty happy with.

Now my original thoughs were that I was going to pull the cranks, get a spacers and throw a bmx sprocket right on since the crank arms dont branch out to the sprockets on there now and seem like they just pinch it like a traditional bike. A friend of mine that works at a bikeshop with a few knowledgable guys said that not only would I need a specific sprocket bt also 2 chain guides to replace the de-railer to ensure my chain wont just flop off my sprocket.

Anyone have any input or a write up on the precedure to change to single sprocket? I figure it will be alot like an SS conversion but just doing the front end of the driveline.

mtbr member
    Just remove your front derailleur and shifter. Remove your granny gear and big ring. Replace your big ring with a bash guard. And install a Jump-stop.

http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    Just remove your front derailleur and shifter. Remove your granny gear and big ring. Replace your big ring with a bash guard. And install a Jump-stop.

http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/
    The rear deraileur usually has enough slack to allow the chain to jump off a single chain ring, unless you use some sort of a guide.

A bash ring will keep the chain on, on the outside, and also protects the remaining chain ring. A Jump Stop, or something similar, takes care of the inside.

A front deraileur, fixed in one position, can also work as a guide if you do not want to buy new parts.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    A front deraileur, fixed in one position, can also work as a guide if you do not want to buy new parts.
    Yeah - that's how I got my 7 speed (my new-old-pub-bike). The front der rusted from sand and crap.

newbie...
    Alright thanks guys! Will I have any trouble putting a BMX sprocket on there?

local trails rider
    I suspect a BMX chainring might not be compatibe with MTB cranks (there's a couple of different standards for MTB too).

If you do not want to use your existing chainring you could get a single ring, for example by Blackspire. Just make sure you get the correct bolt pattern.

newbie...
    Damn alright. My cranks have a square tapered spindle I dont know if that makes a difference or if theres an adapter. Now removing the granny low sprocket doesnt effect spacing on the cranks?