Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

converting cross-check to flat bar

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  brianolthoff 
#1 ·
i'm converting my surly cross check to a flat bar (since i never ride a road/cx bike in the lance armstrong position).

i'd assume that any shimano compatible shifters will work with the tiagra drivetrain and i can use avid levers for the canti brakes?

#5 ·
gravitylover said:
Avid SD7 still has the leverage adjuster and works really well with canti's.
Because V-Brakes have longer arms that offer a huge mechanical advantage over cantilever and caliper brakes, the levers are designed to have about half the mechanical advantage of a canti lever...otherwise they would cause the brakes to lock up with the lightest touch. And because they are connected directly, they have a lineal pull ratio (basically 1:1) so they have to pull more cable. Because of this, putting V-brake levers on Canti brakes will allow you to place the pads far from the rims due to the amount of cable pulled, but they will have half the power.

The Avid SD7 is a v-brake lever, while dialing them so they pull the minimal cable (which also increases the mechanical advantage) makes them marginally suitable for canti brakes, they do not match the power that dedicated canti levers can provide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.