mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Converted my XT 3x10 cranks to 2x plus bash... kind of noisy.

Do I need to do anything else other than swap the big chainring for a bashguard? It seems like the chain is rubbing on the bashguard when I'm in the big ring and smaller rear cogs. Should I try to space it out further? How does one do this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok, I'll take a shot at it --

Is the diameter of your bash guard a lot bigger than the formerly-middle now-big ring?

Do you need a bash guard, or just want 2x10? I removed my big ring, and had a problem of the chain walking off the outside of the middle ring when shifting to it. I just got a 2-speed front derailleur and it works great now.

I got shorter chainring bolts for my conversion. I don't know if they make longer ones or not. If they do, you could space the bash ring out a bit with washers. Or maybe you will have enough length in your current bolts. A machinist told me that if you have three threads holding, the bolt will break before the threads will strip -- but I wouldn't stake my life on this .

Of course if it is too far away it will not keep the chain on the big chainring.

Give the mfgr of the chainring a call.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Re: Converted my XT 3x10 cranks to 2x plus bash... kind of noisy.

Are you running a bash made for the size of your middle ring?