mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Convert grip shift to index

I have an old Giant ATX 840 with 7 speed grip shift and Shimano Alvio derailers. The back wheel is shot and would like to replace with another wheel with Shimano 7 speed (14 - 34T) mega range cassette and some Shimano indexed combo shifters (7 speed Exage M system) from an old Trek 4000.

I have the Deore LX derailers from the Trek if this helps but top wheel on derailer is sus, and some Avid SD7's I'd like to use.

Are these components compatible?

Newbie needs help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisureman
    I have the Deore LX derailers from the Trek if this helps but top wheel on derailer is sus, and some Avid SD7's I'd like to use.

Are these components compatible?

Newbie needs help.
    yep...
    1. so the top jockey wheel on the lx rear derailler is suspect? the wheel from the alivio should be able to be swap.
    2. the SD7's work great with v/linear brakes... not so much with canti's.

be careful with the megarange cog, it's a large jump to that one, so if you need it, be sure to switch to it early. as in, it's difficult to switch to it when you actually need it (under load) to bailout.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Former Bike Wrench
    Second the warning on SD7's with canti's if you intend to use the original brakes. Shimano still makes a short pull lever to work with Canti's and Calipers if you aren't replacing the brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So the combo index shifters will work the Alvio derailer or am I better off fixing up the Deore and swapping?
    Should of been clearer with the brakes too. I want to use SD7 linear brakes with the combo shifters. Appreciate the advice.