mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Convert 3x8 to 2x10?

I did a search and didn't really come up with much.

What would it take to convert my bike from a 3x8 to a 2x10? I was thinking about getting a new derailer since I have the X4. Figured This would be a good time to try to convert over.

Obviously I would need a new cassette And crank set, derailers, and shifters. What else would I need?

Thanks for any help in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Convert 3x8 to 2x10?

I think you nailed it. Shifters, frt and rear der, cassette, and chain.

Pretty extensive upgrade there. I just did a 3x8 into a 1x10 so mostly the same. Unfortunately due to all the rain no riding yet.

Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Convert 3x8 to 2x10?

Okay let me ask this, what are the advantages of going from 3x8 to 2x10? Is it worth the money?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Lighter setup and less shifting, especially if you never use the 42t big ring. I did the same conversion from 3x9 to 2x10 and while it's a bit expensive, it's worth the cost due to upgrading from average components to XT setup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    ALso the biggest rear cog i could get for my 8 spd was a 32, the 10 speed has a 36.

Ask yourself what are you trying to get? If its more gears then 10 speed is fine, but if its budget minded more gears, a 9 spd would work great. You would just replace the cassette and shifter and chain. And just change out a ring up front or both. Thats the budget route.

Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    great thanks guys.

i dont have a ton of money to spend, but all this is stemming from upgrading my RD. I currently have a X4 and quite frankly it sucks. I cant get my drivetrain to function properly at all. There was one ride where i had it going well, and next ride out it was acting up again.

i was going to do a x9 derailer, not sure what shifters yet. it looks like things are a bit cheaper for the 9 spd so i might just go that route.

looking at cranks, does it matter which on i get? or do i need to find one that fits the BB i use now? this is the BB i currently have:
    Amazon.com: Shimano UN55 BB Square Taper Bottom Bracket (68x113mm): Sports & Outdoors

the bike is a diamondback overdrive, so im not looking to put the best of the best in it, but want to have decent components in it. i plan on hanging on to it for a while since resale sucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Convert 3x8 to 2x10?

You don't need to upgrade your cranks unless you want to.

An x7 der would work great for you, make sure cables get replaced also

Bill

mtbr member
    Although its not dire to replace the chain, it would be a good idea. An 8 speed chain is a tad thicker than a 10 speed one and may cause slower shifting and performance. 8 to 9 speed, then I would say keep the same chain. 8 to 10, then I'd replace it. Especially if you have a SRAM/KMC chain with a powerlink system.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Convert 3x8 to 2x10?

Cool thanks. I am definitely replacing the chain. I'm going to go with a 10 spd. I bought the shifters last night