mtbr member

Considering of switching to Sram X9 or X0 trigger shifters or maybe even Shimano.

I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to being a gear head regarding bikes. I prefer trigger shifter, than the stock grip shifter on my Salsa Mukluk 2. I want it to be similar or at least close to my shifter on my Trek Top Fuel 9.9, which uses XTR shifters/brake levers. So I'm considering of changing from SRAM X.7 GripShift to either X.9 or even X.0 trigger shifters. I'm also changing the stock Tektro CL530 brake levers to Avid Speed Dial 7.

I'm not sure if the X.9 or X.0 is compatible with my current components or if I need to upgrade anythng else. I've also saw youtube videos on issues on the X.9, such as too much play or even sticking issues, but I'm not sure if those were operator issues or old issues that's already been resolved. I'm unfamiliar with SRAM, so I'm also unsure if the X.0 is better than the X.9, though judging from pricing, I would assume the the X.0 trigger shifters are better.

Are there any other suggestions?

The Salsa Mukluk 2 has SRAM X.7, 3-Speed in the front and SRAM X.9, 9-speed in the rear. The bike has Avid BB7 mechanical discs (front/rear), and uses Tektro CL530 brake levers.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to being a gear head regarding bikes. I prefer trigger shifter, than the stock grip shifter on my Salsa Mukluk 2. I want it to be similar or at least close to my shifter on my Trek Top Fuel 9.9, which uses XTR shifters/brake levers. So I'm considering of changing from SRAM X.7 GripShift to either X.9 or even X.0 trigger shifters. I'm also changing the stock Tektro CL530 brake levers to Avid Speed Dial 7.

I'm not sure if the X.9 or X.0 is compatible with my current components or if I need to upgrade anythng else. I've also saw youtube videos on issues on the X.9, such as too much play or even sticking issues, but I'm not sure if those were operator issues or old issues that's already been resolved. I'm unfamiliar with SRAM, so I'm also unsure if the X.0 is better than the X.9, though judging from pricing, I would assume the the X.0 trigger shifters are better.

Are there any other suggestions?

The Salsa Mukluk 2 has SRAM X.7, 3-Speed in the front and SRAM X.9, 9-speed in the rear. The bike has Avid BB7 mechanical discs (front/rear), and uses Tektro CL530 brake levers.
    Any SRAM 9-sp shifter will work.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Thanks. I put an order for them, but the ones available for rear are 10 speed, while my bike is only 9 speed. I'm assuming there should be no compatibility issues. Is there a limiter for it to not go beyond the 9th gear?
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They are not compatible at all. On 9-speed cassette you have to have 9-speed shifter.
    The distance between the cogs on the 9s cassette is bigger than on 10s, so the step of the shifter is different.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    Thanks. I put an order for them, but the ones available for rear are 10 speed, while my bike is only 9 speed. I'm assuming there should be no compatibility issues. Is there a limiter for it to not go beyond the 9th gear?
    Cancel that order. 10-sp and 9-sp are totally incompatible, which is why I wrote "any SRAM 9-sp shifter..."
    Only a few dozen (hundred, thousand...) threads here stating that.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Thanks. Already did after reading SOICs reply. Had a hard time finding 9 speed set in black., though.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Also, be forewarned that SRAM trigger shifters require you to "push" with your thumb for both up and down shifts. This will be different from the XTR shifters on your Trek Top Fuel because the XTR allows you to push into a small rear cog and "pull," using your forefinger, into a larger rear cog.

Huckin' trails
    I have X-4 shifters (8 speeds) and find them quite good for entry-level component, so I guess if you get X-9 shifters, you'll get plenty of shifting performance. I think that now the 2012 X-9 shifters have bearing mechanism instead of the traditional bushings, which makes X-0 shifters even less useful if you're not after the ultimate lightweight components. I've tried the 2012 X-7 10 speed trigger shifters and they were as good as the SLX, but I didn't notice much difference into the feel and friction compared my my X-4... Bling factor between X-7/SLX and X-9/XT ? But value and quality of X-7 is way better then X-9/X-0 when you compare to price differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!